i5-10500
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a fully bootable backup of my macOS on an external USB drive (made with CCC). For some reason this became now corrupted. Disk first aid cannot repair it, it tells there is a problem with the partion table. It is APFS formatted with a small EFI partition (for OpenCore) and an additional NTFS partition. Only the NTFS partition is accessible. In disk utility I always could see the APFS partion (with volumes MacOS and MacOS-Data) and the NTFS partition, now instead of the APFS partiton it shows diskXsY, so it sees there is a partion but does not recognize it. In Windows using Paragon's APFS for windows, an APFS volume named MacOS is recignized but contains no user data, so I guess it does not see the MacOS-Data volume.
What can I possibly do to save the user data, or even better, repair the disk ? I have a working new installation of MacOS on my internal drive I can boot into, but I need the data from my backup. I read about the fsck -fy command performed in single user mode, but I guess this is only performed on the internal disk where the OS is located ?

Disk Drill was able to save all the files. Repair was not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back