Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-Clover
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi!
I've recently performed a full reinstall of my system while upgrading to High Sierra for the first time. My system is quite old, but so far, with all modern OSX updates I always get HD3000 glitches at first, and then I'm able to fix them. This time I arrived to a full-working system quite fast but I haven't been able to fix the glitches, they mostly appear on any video sources. And everynow and then I'm getting full system freezes (or some with only mouse movement).
I am attaching the Problem Reporting files, please let me know if anything's missing.
There's two configs I made while trying to fix this: I chose the MacMini5,1 SMBIOS and I added OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi to drivers64UEFI (manually, downloading via CLOVER failed, it said it didnt't have permission to write). These, plus adding "slide=0" fixed the issue in one of my previous installs. This time, I just get a forbidden symbol while booting. My fresh install didn't have an SMBIOS listed and worked the same (I don't know how to take that selection back).

That's all. Any help will be greatly appreciated! And thanks for this great community.

Attachments

• Problem Reporting.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
I've got a Z68 motherboard and HD3000 does the same thing. I think the best solution is to use a supported Nvidia card like the GT 710 and forget about HD3000. You can also find lower cost Nvidia Kepler cards on Ebay that work well too.

Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...TR0.TRC1.A0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=quadro+K600&_sacat=0

If you want really low price get a Quadro 410 for $18

With any of the above cards you'll still have support up through Catalina if you want to upgrade past High Sierra.

Screen Shot 21.jpg
The 410 is Kepler based, has DP 1.2 and can power one 4K display.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply!
I will certainly consider this, I know my system is on borrowed time, but so far I am still very succesfully using it for video editing (via proxys), so I was planning on buying a capable video card maybe next year to extend it's lifetime a little more. Thanks for including an ultra low cost option though, the options in my country are quite limited.
With this reinstall I first tried to install Catalina, but found out that my Sandy Bridge processor was no longer supported and that I would require further tweaking, and I was worried about stability. I ended up thinking I would have to update the whole rig because of this. You reckon that a simple video card update will allow me to keep upgrading OSX with stable systems?
I will definetly consider this route, however that ebay link will ship here the first week of march, so if anybody has some software tweaking ideas that I can try in the meantime it would be great. I guess if nothing works I can downgrade to Sierra which was very stable, until I decide to finally upgrade my rig (I was kind of waiting until it's 10th birthday which is a year from now and was quite proud it made it this far :) )

One further question: what should I look for in the search for compatible graphic cards? That they are Kepler based? The options you posted are not available in my local ebay, but there are other quadro cards with similar numbers.

I was kind of waiting until it's 10th birthday which is a year from now and was quite proud it made it this far
There are some people that still use X58 systems with Catalina. Those have CPUs two years older than your I7-2600K. So it's still got some life in it as long as the motherboard keeps functioning normally.
what should I look for in the search for compatible graphic cards? That they are Kepler based? The options you posted are not available in my local ebay, but there are other quadro cards with similar numbers.

Here's all the options you have for Kepler based Quadros:
  • Quadro 410
  • Quadro K420
  • Quadro K600
  • Quadro K2000/D
  • Quadro K4000/D
  • Quadro K4200
  • Quadro K5000
  • Quadro K5200
  • Quadro K6000
  • Quadro NVS510
You should be able to find a new GT 710 graphics card which is also Kepler from 2014. Should be available most anywhere that PC parts are for sale. What is the video editing software that you are using ? If you can buy a used GT 730 or 740 locally those are better cards than the 710, more graphics power.

Last edited:
This sounds great. I mostly use Adobe Premiere, occasionally After Effects. I am seeing very good deals in GT 710, and the 730 and 740 are also available. I sometimes game on windows (so far I been doing it succesfully with my HD3000, so you can guess my expectations are low), so I guess sticking with the GeForce line will be better.
I am wondering: is there a technical "roof" as to what OSX compatible graphics card I can get that will still be compatible with my motherboard and processor?
I will then investigate further what I need to do in order to get Sandy Bridge support in Catalina then. I thought it was way more complicated that just trying out different SMBIOS settings in Clover Configurator.
Thanks again for all this great help and advice.

I am wondering: is there a technical "roof" as to what OSX compatible graphics card I can get that will still be compatible with my motherboard and processor?
No "roof" that I know of. If your PSU is good enough you could install the newest Navi based RX 5700 XT card. Those now have support in Catalina but not older versions of macOS. Of course the newest Nvidia RTX cards have no macOS driver support so those are not an option.

I thought it was way more complicated that just trying out different SMBIOS settings in Clover Configurator.
If you use iMac 14,2 you should be good to go for Mojave or Catalina. That SMBIOS is the default used when you run Multibeast and works for most older systems that are Sandy or Ivy Bridge. It's a perfect fit for Haswell systems as the 2013 iMacs had Core i5 and i7 Haswell CPUs in them.

Excellent, I will try all this out. I am very grateful for your support, happy new year to you and all the community.

I have the same problem (UI freezes randomly, mouse movement is OK), on Z68 + HD3000 configuration

My solution, replace the i5-2500K (HD3000) CPU with E3-1225V2 (P4000), no more UI freezes

IGPU solution:
P4000/HD4000 : support up to 4K H.264 hardware video acceleration, comptaible with macOS Mojave/Catalina
HD3000 : support up to 2K H.264 hardware acceleration, but suffered from random UI freezing

dGPU solution:
Nvidia GT-xxx : support LCD resolution > 1920 x 1200, but lost hardware video acceleration, macOS do not support nvidia hardware video acceleration

dGPU+ IGPU solution:
Nvidia GT-xxx + headless HD3000 : support up to 2K H.264 hardware acceleration, but suffered from random UI freezing

mainboard DVI/HDMI connection only support 1920x1200 resolution
If your LCD resolution is not > 1920 x 1200, replace the CPU should be a better choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back