Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Help Needed RX580 / HD 530 Freezes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ever since I upgraded to Mojave I've been unable to use Photos because within a minute or two it freezes and brings down my whole system.

Recently I've started to get random freezes in Final Cut Pro X.

I did some research and found that I could stop the freeze issues if I switch the built-in graphics to "Enabled" in BIOS (was set to "Auto").

However, this has SLOWED DOWN Final Cut Pro something awful. BruceX speed is 56 seconds! I should be getting 15 seconds with this setup.

Also, something has gone really wrong with rendering things like transitions. See that attached screenshot. That's just totally nuts.

I've read various threads with different advice about how to set this up so that the freezes don't happen but it seems to be mostly trial and error where it works for some people but not others.

Can anyone with a similar setup to mine chime in with what is working for you?

My RX580 is a Sapphire Pulse.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 6.51.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 6.51.06 PM.png
    928.3 KB · Views: 60
Should I do everything in the first post on this thread:

If so, how to I "compile" Lilu + Whatevergreen and is that really necessary? (I thought those were kexts that I could just put in the Clover/Kexts/Other folder in EFI.

I managed to fix this...at least it seems so. No more freezes in Photos app, and no more problems of any kind in Final Cut Pro X, where my BruceX score is now in the low teens.

I updated Lilu and Whatevergreen and removed "Inject Intel" in Config.plist. I think that was all.

Hey There,

Thanks for this. I have the exact same setup as you. Same osx mojave, cpu, motherboard, and GFX.
I'm about 30 hours into trial and error getting this RX 580 Sapphire to work.

Any chance you could put together a summary of what you did?

Bios Settings for iGPU?
What Standard Kexts?
Did you have to "compile" the kexts? All I do is put them in /Library/Extensions
Any bootflags? Like other than "removed "Inject Intel""

What is your system definition 19,1 etc?

Also, what kext do you use for your ethernet port? I seem to get hard crashes with it so I ended up using a Realteck one in a PCI slot that works smoothly.

thanks again!

I don't really know what else to tell you other than use the most up to date versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen and put them in Clover/Kexts/Other folder in EFI and remove Inject Intel from your config.plist if it's there.

I have since moved on to Catalina and everything is still working great. The system definition I am using is iMac17,1

I'm just using the ethernet port on the motherboard. It has worked fine ever since day 1. I use IntelMausiEthernet.kext for it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try tonight.

How was your experience going to Catalina? Did it work after install or did you have to look up a fix like this for Catalina?

I'd be delighted to do a fresh install if this sort of Premiere metal export freeze issue was fixed.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your EFI for Mojave or Catalina that would be awesome.

Thanks again for the help,

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back