Nvidia Geforce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Difficult one here since there is no clear error message.

I upgraded a long time working Lion installation to Mountain Lion using the latest Unibeast. Installation was a breeze, but my system doesn't boot anymore. It hangs some time after "DSMOS has arrived"; some more VirtualBox kext message are displayed, it loads some more files (hdd led lit) then stops doing anything. Keyboard looks locked up as well.

Since the lock up occurs very late in the boot process I'm suspecting a problem with the graphic board, which is a 8400GS clone. Supported OTB when using Chimera, isn't it ? I don't remember how i succeeded to make it work (QE/CI enabled) for Lion.

Additionnaly, I tried to boot in safe mode but in that case I got the dreadful "[com.apple.AppleRTC]: The Mach-0 file is malformed: Invalid magic number" error and it hangs as well a bit later.

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" at chimera's boot screen didn't helped.

Please notice that I don't have any DSDT fix (it worked correctly using Lion except of course sleep and power management), this is an ASUS P5 series motherboard.

Any suggestion to help me find the culprit ?

Thanks guys,

Matthieu

Try reinstalling with your graphics card removed. Once you get everything up and running, power down your system, plug in your graphics card, then reboot. I had the same issue with my graphics card.

8400 gs used to be OOB.
Especially the Asus 512 with flat rectangular heat sink and no HDMI.
Then that card was updated with HDMI and a swoopy sculpted heat sink.
It ceased to be OOB.
With ML when I went to 10.8.2. I had to use some fixes with kexts and injection.
I combined two solutions. Plus I did some things on the fly.
I can't remember if this was true on 10.8.0.
Anyway this card is no longer an easy one.
Solutions vary. Some still claim it works with no fiddling.
There are several threads out there.
I think this is just one of many cards Apple dropped in ML.
Check at OSX86.org but only use solutions that reference Tonymac.
Even if you get it to work, you are just an update away from more problems.
Suggest new video card such as GT 210 GT430 and GT640.

Plug your monitor cable into the motherboard instead of the GF.

Thanks for your help !

I thought that even without the right kext the system would boot in bare VGA mode when started in safe mode ? Is it because of the AppleRTC kext not loading in safe mode ?

Should I worry about this problem or is it a side effect ?

Matthieu

[SOLVED] Help needed : NVidia 8400GS not working under Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Hi,

It turned out that the problem was effectively related to the 8400GS which wasn't correctly recognized by Apple's stock kexts.

I managed to get it working using the kext referred into this post : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...400-gs-512mb-files-for-download/#entry1837389

Thanks to fishertodd who reminded me that there was an onboard gfx card which helped me a lot to get my system running to be able to debug this problem easily.

Thanks again to the team !

Matthieu

PS/ I'd like to change the title of this thread to mark it as solved but it doesn't seem to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back