Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 570
I need a suggestion for an alternative to a Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE, chosen because it has thunderbolt connections.
I am new to Hackintosh so would appreciate some help.
I need to connect to these as this is the kit I have received:-
Thunderbolt
MQUPIN T919 Bluetooth/wifi card
Graphics card Saphire RX 570
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

Main interest is music production using Antelope hardware connecting via Thunderbolt.

I want to run Catalina and Monteray.

Thanks

Last edited:
I need a suggestion for an alternative to a Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE, chosen because it has thunderbolt connections.
I am new to Hackintosh so would appreciate some help.
I need to connect to these as this is the kit I have received:-
Thunderbolt

Main interest is music production using Antelope hardware connecting via Thunderbolt.

I want to run Catalina and Monteray.

Thanks

Was it not delivered or is it not going to be delivered? If it is not going to be delivered you could always get a board that does not have Onboard TB3 but instead a TB3 header and purchase a TB3 add in card. Look threw the user builds and the golden builds to find boards that people are using to make your choices easier.

Was it not delivered or is it not going to be delivered? If it is not going to be delivered you could always get a board that does not have Onboard TB3 but instead a TB3 header and purchase a TB3 add in card. Look threw the user builds and the golden builds to find boards that people are using to make your choices easier.
Thanks scottkenal I have to admit I am struggling with all the variations, just thinking of putting the whole lot in the bin at the moment!

Thanks scottkenal I have to admit I am struggling with all the variations, just thinking of putting the whole lot in the bin at the moment!

I admit there is a lot of parts but for the most part they can be grouped into z370/z390, Z490/z590, Z690. I think with z590 being one of the hardest to Hackintosh.. z370/z390 are fairly simple with little issues. I have a z370 with a 9900k CPU, and Vega 64 it runs smooth. I have working thunderbolt but not thunderbolt setup to work with Antelope, that is another step down the rabbit hole I do not need to take. That said what ever setup you end up with there are lots of people here willing to help others with their issues.

However, If your not into trouble shooting your system and banging your head against the wall for hours it could be possible that you would be better off with a 2018/2019 Mac mini since you are looking to run Catalina but if you could get by on just Monterey a M1 Mac mini might be a possible choice also.

Thanks for the guidance, today is a new day. Looked at the guides like you suggested and was hooked by an asus with a thunderbolt car build, looks like it might do the trick.

Are most motherboards compatible with Intel i9 (coffee lake)?

Are most motherboards compatible with Intel i9 (coffee lake)?
Most socket 1151 motherboards are, easy enough to find out put in motherboard name, model number and cpu support into Google and search for it. It will most likely come up with the support page listing all the processors and the firmware/BIOS version needed for the support of the chip. Mine for instance tells me I need the F11 version of its firmware/BIOS to use a 9900k all other versions of an i9 chip require the F12. You need to make certain of the support or the board will not work with the chip and you will need a second supported processor to update to a version that will allow you to use your processor.

Thanks SAC12345 appreciated. I am new to this and you have lost me with the ref to F11. ‎‎Intel Core i9-9900K-BX806849900K I think it is coffee lake all I get when I put it into google is amazon and ebay trying to sell me one.

I hope I get this right, I am thinking of getting an Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F or an Asus PRIME Z490-P and an Asus ONDA ThunderboltEX4.
Also fingers crossed that this list is compatible

Wanted to get Gigabyte boards but none that I am interested in seem to be available so resorted to looking at ASUS.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas

Neither of the two boards you mentioned would work with an i9-9900K CPU. Both require minimum of a 10th Gen CPU (Comet Lake), the Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming MB supports both 10th & 11th (Ice Lake) Gen CPU's.

Coffee Lake (9th Gen) systems with Thunderbolt are denoted as Z390 boards, but not all Z390 boards support Thunderbolt.

If you were to purchase either of those two Asus boards you mentioned you would need to purchase an i9-10900K, not the i9-9900K CPU, for compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back