Contribute
Register

HELP: ML install prompts shutdown on MSI Z77MA G45...what'd I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HackPro G5
CPU
i5-3750 3.4ghz
Graphics
EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,

I'm trying to trouble shoot why my Apple Mountain Lion OSX install screen goes gray and then tells me I need to reboot after about 45 seconds of processing the install. I set all of my BIOS setting how I've seen they are to be set for this motherboard...this may sound like a dumb question but am I supposed to/can I flash the bios before installing an OS?

Anyone who's used this board, if you could give me a leg-up it'd be much appreciated. I feel like I'm probably missing a simple step.

Also, I did the Legacy USB option in Unibeast...is that correct?

Hey all,

I'm trying to trouble shoot why my Apple Mountain Lion OSX install screen goes gray and then tells me I need to reboot after about 45 seconds of processing the install. I set all of my BIOS setting how I've seen they are to be set for this motherboard...this may sound like a dumb question but am I supposed to/can I flash the bios before installing an OS?

Anyone who's used this board, if you could give me a leg-up it'd be much appreciated. I feel like I'm probably missing a simple step.

Also, I did the Legacy USB option in Unibeast...is that correct?

ADK_XJ

As you stated in you post ...
...this may sound like a dumb question but am I supposed to/can I flash the bios before installing an OS?

No such thing as a Dumb question just stupid answers!!!
Yes this motherboard needs a modified bios for it to work -

See this link for BIOS setting pics - and the link to get the modded BIOS file.
Now your Motherboard is not the exact Motherboard that is used in the pic's but their should be a lot of similarities that you can match up.

Its important to flash bios then match pic's then install from USB flash drive. I do assume you are installing OSX ML onto this otherwise I have no idea as to what I am talking about.:lol:

Link - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/80048-msi-z77a-gd65-windows-ml-pictures.html

If this works you can thank "Going Bald" for his time and doing such a fine job w the camera action and maybe after you get it working make a donation to the site, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks, only thing I'm running into here is that I don't have an OS installed and I need to flash without a CD. I can use USB I'm assuming but it looks like (from the couple of older guides I saw) I need to setup the USB drive from a Windows computer.

Dammit, I'm confused!

You will need to patch your bios as described in the link below:

https://biosrepo.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/simple-way-to-patch-your-own-bios/

Then simply copy the patched bios onto your USB drive (make sure its FAT32 formatted), then reboot the system, pressing the delete key, accessing your bios, choose m-flash / update, provide the location of the usb drive / patched bios, proceed in flashing the bios, reboot, reconfigure your bios accordingly, and voila...

It sounds a lot worse then it is, trust me I had to do the same thing as I have the Z77a-G45..

Cheers!

Kermit1219

Then simply copy the patched bios onto your USB drive (make sure its FAT32 formatted), then reboot the system, pressing the delete key, accessing your bios, choose m-flash / update, provide the location of the usb drive / patched bios, proceed in flashing the bios, reboot, reconfigure your bios accordingly, and voila...

It sounds a lot worse then it is, trust me I had to do the same thing as I have the Z77a-G45..

Cheers!

Kermit1219

Kermit and ADK_XJ

Item of note - the download file is not generally in the format that will work w the BIOS upgrade program due to the extension (last three letters of the file name) being not what the loader needs.

You will need to rename the extension of the downloaded file to what the factory uses - which is generally "rom" but you should see what a factory file has for and extension name by downloading a factory BIOS file. You may need to extract them as they are sometimes compressed.
So that you can see the extension name.

Cheers!

Kermit1219

Ah ha, I'm seeing how that works now - I misunderstood at first that it was a program I had to run on the OS of the hackintosh machine.

So, after creating a bios patch and flashing from the system...were there any other significant hurdles you encountered with this motherboard? Anything in the boot setup for the installer that I need to do or unique screw-ups with the power management, drivers, CPU? Just trying to brace myself for additional problems as they come up and find solutions up front.

Thanks so much!

So, I'm getting this message when I try to patch and I can't seem to identify a new file that's been patched...sorry, total newb here. If I don't include the "PATCHED" extension at the end of the terminal command, it does say an output file has been generated and the existing bios updates with the current time as "last Modified".

Sorry, total newb here:

MS.140 PATCHED
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement module at 0037DC08 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 007BACE0 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

I do remember renaming the "raw" bios file to "E7752IMS.ROM" (from E7752IMS.290) - Just remember to change it back to the original file name or your bios wont see it as an upgrade file.

My board is basically the full size version of your board I believe, and for the bios configuration I used the following as a guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/80052-darfweders-build-msi-z77a-g45-i5-3570k-16gb-hd4000.html

If you get stuck I may be able to help you with a patched bios once i get home from work.. (only have 10.6.8 here, PMPatch doesnt work on it.. :S)

So, I'm getting this message when I try to patch and I can't seem to identify a new file that's been patched...sorry, total newb here. If I don't include the "PATCHED" extension at the end of the terminal command, it does say an output file has been generated and the existing bios updates with the current time as "last Modified".

Sorry, total newb here:

MS.140 PATCHED
PMPatch 0.5.11
PowerManagement module at 0037DC08 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 007BACE0 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

ADK_SJ

I dont think your doing it right - that procedure is outdated I think

see this link
http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/47397-msi-asrock-foxconn-1155-patched-bios-thread.html

As I understand it you download the patched bios for your motherboard - change the extension to what the factory rom file is know as (say ROM) and then program the Motherboard w this patched BIOS file and you are done. Except for setting the values you need in the BIOS as stated in the Guides.

This is how I did my ASUS motherboard for my build #3.

Do read the cautionary bit of information at the bottom of the post about issues w flashing.

Okay, I will give that a try next - I am still in a failure loop trying to install OSX with Unibeast after updating the BIOS with that previous method. I get the greyed out screen and "You need to restart your computer" message.

I've tried doing a safe boot and a no graphics enabler boot, both didn't seem to take.

Still chipping away at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back