Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
Graphics
2 x RX280s
Hi all, have done a lot of searching but am a bit lost

I'm hoping i can have 24 drives from an enclosure show up in Mac OS as just a bunch of drives. Open to RAID config also but doesn't need to be. Just need bulk storage and NAS systems aren't working for me.

I understand i can use a hardware Raid card, find one that works OOB.

Do i then also need a port multiplier? Or if i get a card that has multiple SAS ports i can then use the Breakout cables to attach the drives via SATA

I'm using 8TB SATA Seagate drives, already own them so looking to use the z97-UD7-TH hardware i already have

Hi all, have done a lot of searching but am a bit lost

I'm hoping i can have 24 drives from an enclosure show up in Mac OS as just a bunch of drives. Open to RAID config also but doesn't need to be. Just need bulk storage and NAS systems aren't working for me.

I understand i can use a hardware Raid card, find one that works OOB.

Do i then also need a port multiplier? Or if i get a card that has multiple SAS ports i can then use the Breakout cables to attach the drives via SATA

I'm using 8TB SATA Seagate drives, already own them so looking to use the z97-UD7-TH hardware i already have

I thought this was an interesting problem so I spent some time trying to research it Seems like the best way to get 24 drives working would be with a NAS or some kind of rack that plugs directly into a raid card "yes I know OOB is a problem". Seems like there are some options for Windows/Linux from OWC but not for the MacOS. Since many Macs are AIO or non upgradeable it seems like this is not something MacOS would have the support for. It might be possible to get one of those SAS cards run Linux as a host OS with bare metal access and run MacOS as a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back