Contribute
Register

Help me plz with a killer I7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX Lion 10.7.3
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition (12M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody,

I have been using macs for 10 years now, but this is my first mackintosh build. I hope you can help me. I really have my doubts about some of the elements. Namely the graphics card and the mobo. I'm using it mainly for work (Snow leopard, Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Flash, Aftereffects, etc. etc.) I will also make a Win 7 partition for my windows needs + gaming. Speed and responsiveness is important for me, hence the SSD and the graphics card. But maybe the gtx285 is a bit overkill. I'm looking for good value also. I would like to get your 2 cents on this, thanks in advance (do anyone have a suggestion for a nice simple case - applelike?).

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

Core i7 I7-860 8 MB (Intel Boxed)

Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 285
(1 GB)

Mushkin 2 x 2 GB ram

Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - 34nm Product Line
80 GB

WD Caviar Green WD15EARS
1.5 TB

Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S223C

EPS-750W Ultra Silent

NZXT Panzerbox Welded Aluminum

2 x 24" Samsung Syncmaster

Then theres is also something with the 920 using tri-channel memory which could be an advance in photoshop. Does anybody know anything about this?

Personally, I'd get a different SSD, the Intel ones aren't all that any more, and they're over priced at that.

I read somewhere about problems with Samsung optical drives for some reason or the other.

Make sure the RAM is rated at 1.65V or less, preferably 1.5V.

Invest in a quality PSU, 550-600W should be enough, even with that graphics card, but a cheap, crap brand isn't going to be as good and I've never heard of the brand you intend to use.

With two screens, if you intend to use both in 3D, you'd most likely want that card. Otherwise a GTS 250 will most likely work just as well.

Thank you for your prompt response!! I've been looking at SSD's now for some time. My options here in DK is:

OCZ Vertex 60 gb. for 1579 DKK

or the

Intel X25-M 80 gb. for 1475 DKK

What i read is; that these 2 drives perform similarly, so i'm thinking about getting more space cheaper. Doesn't that make sense? How are they priced in Sweden (if you really are swedish :D)? I could go get it somewhere in Malmö maybe if the OCZ is cheaper over there.

The ram is 1.5V

About PSU,

I'm thinking about these 2:

Corsair TX650W or Corsair VX550W

Will the VX550W be enough, even when i add more HDD's?

The GTS 250 is almost half the price, will the GTX 285 be worth the extra bucks?

Instead of the Samsung drive, will the: Pioneer DVR S18LBK do?

I'm thinking about throwing in a WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB to keep WIN7 seperate.

What else can one do to get more power? Maybe i should get the UD6 to get more ram slots. I'm thinking 6x2 gb = 12 gb would be nice!

Thank you again for your answers!!

The Intel SSD's have slow write performance compared to the competition now, most decent SSD's hit 150MB+ while Intel is stuck at 70MB/s. Your call though.
Have you considered the Kingston V series Gen 2? They have TRIM support now (only works in Windows 7 and Linux at the moment) and it offers 200/160MB/s read/write. So sure, that's a bit slower read performance than the Intel, but you're getting more than double the write performance. The 128GB model is about 1795 DKK.

Hard drives don't use much power, so yes, that should be fine. Personally I'd get a modular PSU, as it allows for a much tidier build so to say, as you only use the cables you need and some of the high power PSUs these days come with a lot of cables which makes a mess.

The GTX 285 is worth it, IF you play a lot of games and have a high resolution screen. Otherwise, not really.

Pioneer works great, it's generally what Apple uses.

You can only fit 8 or 16GB of RAM in a P55 board, as they're dual channel, not triple-channel like the X58 boards. The UD6 is special, as even though it has six slots, you can only put single sided modules in the white slots and these aren't easy to come by to be honest.

Maybe 2 GTS 250 SLI would be nice? Is that compatible with OSX?

You can run two cards, but OS X doesn't support SLI.
It's a bit tricky to get working though, but it can be done.
It requires that you edit your DSDT file.
There's a guide here somewhere...

Regarding SSD, you are absolutely right. The Kingston is the way to go. I have difficulty seeing if it is gen. 2. I can only see V-series and V+ series. I guess it must be second generation, since its new stock (i hope)? Actually :

Kingston SSDNow V-Series Notebook Upgrade Kit 128 GB : 1568 DKK

is cheaper than

Kingston SSDNow V-Series 128 GB :1648 DKK

Guess that will do (why not get the case and cables?)!

Regarding Graphics card, i think i will compromise and buy the GTX 275, seems full bodied, and is more reasonably priced. But gosh, there is 24 variants to choose from. I see you chose a Gigabyte for your build. Gigabytes GTX 275 is in the top 3 cheapest ones, so maybe that will be a good candidate?

Modular PSU: yes! good idea; Corsair HX520W?? I'm so scared of running out of juice, but it should be enough, right?

So complete build:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

Core i7 I7-860 8 MB (Intel Boxed)

Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2

Gigabyte GV N275UD-896I
(896 MB)

Mushkin 2 x 2 GB

Kingston SSDNow V-Series Notebook Upgrade Kit
128 GB

WD Caviar Green WD15EARS
1.5 TB

WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS
500 GB

Pioneer DVR S18LBK (Sort)

Corsair HX520W

NZXT Panzerbox Welded Aluminum

2 x 24" Samsung Syncmaster (have 1 already)

Does anything stick out?

Total 12.193 DKK without shipping (shure beats the hell out af a current Mac Pro!!!)

TY thelostsweede, you have been very helpfull. It's much appreciated! Mange tak.

This should give you an idea of power draw http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-g ... iew-test/5

GTX 275 and a much power hungrier X58 board and CPU, Max Peak 400W.

I guess you might as well get the upgrade kit, the V+ is a lot faster, but the new V version seems to be pretty good as well. Komplett has the Gen 2 in stock, but it was a lot more expensive there than the prices you found. Just check with the supplier as Gen 1 isn't as good.

Corsair PSUs are pretty good, so go for it.

Should be a really nice machine, have fun :thumbup: :ugeek:

Cannot thank you enough for your time!! Will place the order asap, and will keep you updated on the progress. Tjena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back