Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
hd4000
hi all,

not the saviest guy here by any means, but was able to follow a few build threads back in 2012 and put together a mackintosh running off a z77x thunderbolt board and installed ML.
it has run fine for a few years with no major issues at all.

however, one day the machine just turned off and now won't boot past the grey apple screen. i checked the bios to make sure no settings were messed up and all seems fine.

i booted into verbose mode and the attached pic is where it seems to fail.

being not so hacking savy, i don't know what this failure means. is anyone able to quickly take a look and help me figure out what i'm missing?

thanks!
rukus

Attachments

• verbose error.jpg
    verbose error.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 78
I don't have much experience either. I've been fortunate that most of my past hackintosh machines have just 'worked'.

Can you boot to safe mode with the -x flag?

Maybe you can run multibeast again from there?

I don't have much experience either. I've been fortunate that most of my past hackintosh machines have just 'worked'.

Can you boot to safe mode with the -x flag?

Maybe you can run multibeast again from there?

Yup can boot into safe mode if I set graphics enabler to No. I reran multibeast simple option and repaired permissions but still can't boot outside safe mode.

Any other ideas I can try?

Will it boot normally if you use GraphicsEnabler=No flag?

If so, the you'll need to edit the org.chameleon.boot.plist and change it to No in there, save the file and it should boot as normal.

*** EDIT If i remember right, Multibeast sets GraphicsEnabler=Yes by default

If that doesn't work try booting normally with only a -f flag. If it boots normally using this flag let me know

If that doesn't work try booting normally with only a -f flag. If it boots normally using this flag let me know

unfortunately doesn't boot normally with graphicsenabler=no unless i do it in safe mode.

when i boot with just -f as a flag, it doesn't work either. tough to read as it is blending some verbose output with the grey apple background but it seems there is some type of panic. can't see the whole thing but is something like
"panic(cpu4 4 caller 0x.....): "A kext releasing a(n) OSArray has corrupted the registry." @sourcecashe/xbu/xnu-2050.48.15/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:218
pci168c,30 cannot assert wake from D3cold
debugger called: <panic>"

then a backtrace is run (not sure what that is) and seems to say the following:
"kernel extensions in backtrace org.tgwbd.driver.ElliottForceLegacyRTC......"
"Dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily"

happy to take a pic of the screen but the above seems to capture it. thanks for your help!

if you think it makes sense and is easier to just wipe the installation, i am happy to try and migrate up to latest version of OS X given all my data on my drives seem to be just fine as long as i won't lose any files in the process.

unfortunately doesn't boot normally with graphicsenabler=no unless i do it in safe mode..

Boot flags are case sensitive - Get them wrong and they have no effect.

graphicsenabler=no is wrong - It should be GraphicsEnabler=No (GraphicsEnabler=Yes).

The default is GraphicsEnabler=No so entering graphicsenabler=no is the same as not typing it.

Boot flags are case sensitive - Get them wrong and they have no effect.

graphicsenabler=no is wrong - It should be GraphicsEnabler=No (GraphicsEnabler=Yes).

The default is GraphicsEnabler=No so entering graphicsenabler=no is the same as not typing it.

sorry for the confusion. my typing here was just sloppy. i typed it properly capitalized and just tried it again to confirm.

now seems to be stuck backtracing a kernel extension related to FakeSMC (which is a new place that it stops)..

At this point it's gone beyond me. Either wait it out for someone else to chime in, or maybe have a think if you're wanting to install El Capitan or not. At least you can get into safe mode to make sure you've backed everything before hand. That's what i'd do in the meantime.

Now i'm using clover for El Capitan i found everything to be so much easier. i have everything working perfectly at the minute. I've reinstalled all of my apps and files and just wiped my old backup and done a fresh Time Machine backup from scratch. This is the way i've always done it - then if i get a problem or mess something up, i just use time machine or reinstall and migrate everything from the Time Machine backup.

I'm sorry i couldn't help further. But my knowledge is limited beyond the very basics.

Good luck with it

At this point it's gone beyond me. Either wait it out for someone else to chime in, or maybe have a think if you're wanting to install El Capitan or not. At least you can get into safe mode to make sure you've backed everything before hand. That's what i'd do in the meantime.

Now i'm using clover for El Capitan i found everything to be so much easier. i have everything working perfectly at the minute. I've reinstalled all of my apps and files and just wiped my old backup and done a fresh Time Machine backup from scratch. This is the way i've always done it - then if i get a problem or mess something up, i just use time machine or reinstall and migrate everything from the Time Machine backup.

I'm sorry i couldn't help further. But my knowledge is limited beyond the very basics.

Good luck with it
no problem, thanks anyway. i might give it to end of night before contemplating the wipe/upgrade path.

what is best way to migrate over once i make sure everything backed up?
do i just follow the regular install instructions under the 'installation guide'?

if i've got a mac air that i want to also eventually upgrade, will this 'use up' my version or can i install on as many computers as i want? i assume the latter but want to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back