Contribute
Register

Help! Lost all USB randomly from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar but not exactly the same problem here. Big Sur 11.3.1, OpenCore 0.6.9, wired Apple keyboard and Kensington K64325 wired "Expert Mouse" connected to the keyboard. Keyboard/trackball connected to the output of a "Plugable" two-to one USB selector. Frequently the cursor is non-responsive after booting. Have tried several USB ports on main computer. Usually, but not always, disconnecting the output of the "Pllugable" selector for about 15 seconds, and then re-plugging it in again will result in a working cursor. Once working it will work indefinitely. Rebooting usually repeats the problem. Removing the trackball and monitoring the socket's LED when working shows a steady, dim red light. When cursor is frozen, usually (but not always) the LED flashes brightly twice, then pauses, then repeats... indefinitely. Rebooting may sometimes give working LED and USB connection again, but sometimes not.

My secondary computer running High Sierra (on Clover, not OC) does not have this problem. So it's not the keyboard/trackball. Either the main computer or the "Plugable" USB selector is doing it. Don't yet know which.

[Edit: Solved the problem by uninstalling KensingtonWorks v 2.2.5. Apparently it's not compatible with Big Sur 11.3.1.]

Last edited:
HI!
Have you found a solution for it yet?

Similar but not exactly the same problem here. Big Sur 11.3.1, OpenCore 0.6.9, wired Apple keyboard and Kensington K64325 wired "Expert Mouse" connected to the keyboard. Keyboard/trackball connected to the output of a "Plugable" two-to one USB selector. Frequently the cursor is non-responsive after booting. Have tried several USB ports on main computer. Usually, but not always, disconnecting the output of the "Pllugable" selector for about 15 seconds, and then re-plugging it in again will result in a working cursor. Once working it will work indefinitely. Rebooting usually repeats the problem. Removing the trackball and monitoring the socket's LED when working shows a steady, dim red light. When cursor is frozen, usually (but not always) the LED flashes brightly twice, then pauses, then repeats... indefinitely. Rebooting may sometimes give working LED and USB connection again, but sometimes not.

My secondary computer running High Sierra (on Clover, not OC) does not have this problem. So it's not the keyboard/trackball. Either the main computer or the "Plugable" USB selector is doing it. Don't yet know which.

[Edit: Solved the problem by uninstalling KensingtonWorks v 2.2.5. Apparently it's not compatible with Big Sur 11.3.1.]

My hunch is that it has something to do with system protection and usb drivers. This start happening from Catalina on onward, Mojave was all good.

After a lot of digging I finally found out this is due to apples intel driver and the 390 chipset. The only thing that has worked was a inatek usb pci card which has all my usb 1 and 2 devices on it. Since doing this I have not had a single freeze so it is definitely a working solution - although there may be others I couldn’t find one.

My hunch is that it has something to do with system protection and usb drivers. This start happening from Catalina on onward, Mojave was all good.
Have you turned off turbo boost in bios? I turn it on and uncheck usb port limit in opencore and everything work fine now

After a lot of digging I finally found out this is due to apples intel driver and the 390 chipset. The only thing that has worked was a inatek usb pci card which has all my usb 1 and 2 devices on it. Since doing this I have not had a single freeze so it is definitely a working solution - although there may be others I couldn’t find one.
wow that's a good idea too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back