Contribute
Register

Help! Lost all USB randomly from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes :)

that would be a hardware issue

i would try for convenience to remove hubs, try just your usb mouse and keyboard (assume you are using usb mouse an keyboard?)

see how your machine works with just those for a few hours or more to see if it freezes up or not?
Fair enough and very good suggestions. I will try.

i would try for convenience to remove hubs, try just your usb mouse and keyboard (assume you are using usb mouse an keyboard?)

see how your machine works with just those for a few hours or more to see if it freezes up or not?

Just a quick update,

• BIOS is also updated to the latest, F12k, loaded optimized default, then set everything to Hacktinosh specific.
  • Ran on Windows for a day, no issues. Switched back to Mac for 2 hours, USB is lost again while watching video.

I am connecting my USB devices directly to the computer now. Going to give it a try.

I've isolated out that my Logitech USB Speaker is likely to be the one who causes the USB issue.

The process of isolating is painful and requires a lot of patience. I've tried to connect all USB devices without the hub. Also tried to connect everything with the hub except 1 isolated USB device.

But your instinct is right, thank you again for that.

I've isolated out that my Logitech USB Speaker is likely to be the one who causes the USB issue.

The process of isolating is painful and requires a lot of patience. I've tried to connect all USB devices without the hub. Also tried to connect everything with the hub except 1 isolated USB device.

But your instinct is right, thank you again for that.
well done on finding the issue!

i can imagine it was a pain to figure out the cause :)

Hi there,

Could you clarify for me, did you determine that a specific device was causing this issue?

I'm having this issue. Sometimes it happens a lot, like constantly a few mins after boot, other times not for a month or so. The machine carries on running just fine, I can access it via another mac using screen sharing, however all USB port input and output ceases, except audio will carry on if going through a USB interface.

Hi there,

Could you clarify for me, did you determine that a specific device was causing this issue?

I'm having this issue. Sometimes it happens a lot, like constantly a few mins after boot, other times not for a month or so. The machine carries on running just fine, I can access it via another mac using screen sharing, however all USB port input and output ceases, except audio will carry on if going through a USB interface.

Hi, well, I thought I found the issue but it turns out after months that the freeze is still coming back, but definitely less frequent.

I eliminated my Logitech USB speakers. Now I am thinking of removing my Logitech USB webcam.

I have a lot of devices, I'm not convinced its one of them causing the issue. I will try to eliminate them one by one though it's difficult as I need them all for work! For me it's all music stuff, no webcam involved. My devices are mostly MIDI controllers and interfaces.

I have a lot of devices, I'm not convinced its one of them causing the issue. I will try to eliminate them one by one though it's difficult as I need them all for work! For me it's all music stuff, no webcam involved. My devices are mostly MIDI controllers and interfaces.

Hi, I am really sorry to hear about your case. It's definitely a painful process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back