Contribute
Register

HELP! Just installed, dual boot, and now I lost multi-monitor support - in Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A SLI
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Evga GTX 950
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not even sure where to begin. Decided to try dual booting my existing Windows machine (specs below) using another SSD, went through all the setup steps just fine and on the first boot try afterwards I got a circle with a slash through it. So I found that guide here, unplugged everything, and managed to get it to boot so I could finish the install.

Went through Multiboot, downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers, and rebooted. Again with the circle and slash. Unplugged everything, and managed to get in although it took a few tries of unplugging. The screen still wasn't right so I opened the Preference panel and saw that it was on OS X drivers instead of the Web drivers. So I changed that and rebooted and now no matter what I do I just get the circle with a slash.

And what's worse is now in Windows I only get 1 display instead of 2!! I've tried another port. I've tried another cable. I've unplugged/replugged every damn thing and no matter what I do I can't get the 2nd display up. I have no idea how installing a driver in OS X can somehow mess up Windows, but that is my reality.

I need help to a) get my other monitor up in Windows, b) allow me to boot into OS X without jumping through hoops, which isn't even working now anyway! Please help...

MSI Z170A SLI
EVGA GTX 950
Syba SY-PEX30016 Firewire card
Intel i7-6700
EVGA SuperNova 850 PS
16GB DDR4 Ram
LG Blu-Ray/CD/DVD drive
TP-Link Archer T8E Wireless card
Samsung NVMe 256GB M.2 drive (Windows boot)
2 other internal drives, plus an external FW enclosure I carried over from my MBP
USB Bluetooth dongle
Logitech HD Camera

Forgot to add that I even unplugged the the video card and plugged it back in. And uninstalled the driver in Windows and installed again. And I can plug in to any other port and have one monitor working so it isn't the ports. It just isn't letting 2 monitors work. I don't get this at all.

OK. I managed to fix the second monitor. Phew. Ended up having to unplug the power to it for a few seconds and it came right back up.

However I still can't boot into OSX. Still get the circle and slash. What do I do for that?

@ionblue, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard or Model, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I listed everything in the post, but sure.

Ok. I did that. Tried putting it in my signature as well, but it doesn't list the 6700 for CPU or the GTX950 for graphics so I'm not going to have a signature.

Are you booting to Windows with Clover? Also, what is your 'initial display output' setting in BIOS? The Clover bootloader might not be loading the graphics right... and using IGFX (in BIOS) or something along those lines will probably mess some things up graphic-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back