Contribute
Register

[HELP] Internal HDDs Stop Working (Cannot Write) Some Time After Login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Formatted GUID with 3 HFS+ partitions. It was originally formatted/created in Yosemite or (probably) earlier.

Partitions:
Personal Files
My Library (extended personal files)
iTunes

Not using Paragon NTFS or any other drive-related programs or utilities.

Ok.

Do you have space on your other drives to copy all the data from the suspect HDD?

So you can erase and reformat the HDD, before copying the data back to the new partitions on the drive?

I would suggest erasing and reformatting the drive in the latest version of macOS you have available.

I lose the ability to write/edit to them with an error "This operation cannot be completed. Error -50". I can still read from them, but they are essentially read-only.

When macOS detects a threshold level of drive access instability it makes the drive read only to prevent corruption.

In my experience, this is symptom of a signaling problem over SATA, most likely with a thermal trait: certain patterns of data can't be handled and as the device warms up sight circuit shifts aggravate the condition.

If you are savvy enough to install smartmontools, you may be able to read the per-drive DMA CRC error count, which is a direct measure of the SATA link reliability. If a drive these records errors that's the problem.

Details can be found in the googlez.

You can also search macOS logs for drive IO errors.

If you are lazy, install Carbon Copy Cloner and run a backup of the problem drive and it will scan the logs and raise an alert.

Assuming you are getting link errors, and you likely are, the next step is rewiring your SATA. New cables are inexpensive, so just replace them all.

If you have USB3 or Wifi antenna cabling bunched up with SATA cables, rearrange these to separate them. If the PC has a Wifi router right next to it, move it away.

Just reseating and rearranging cabling might help, or make it worse.

This also could be a power problem, with the supply weakening and drooping just enough to cause glitches.

If your build is a haphazard assembly as hacks tend to be, you have reached the point where more attention to parts and physical layout is needed.

Good luck

I did empty one of the two problem drives and reformat it in Catalina. This did not fix the issue. The newly formatted drive experienced the same issue. I then emptied the other drive too, and removed both drives from my case and installed them into a USB enclosure. They appear to work there. I reformatted, and just CCC-cloned a significant amount of data onto each without issue. Would CCC report errors when cloning ONTO them?

I took the two drives that were in the USB enclosure and intended to try them in the case. Unfortunately, the one I plugged into my SATA says it is 'uninitialized'. This was surprising, as it had an old CCC-cloned backup on it (HFS+, not sure the partition map). It's no longer a needed backup, so I can format it. But Disk Utility gave an error and couldn't even erase it.

The issues described by c-o-pr sounds likely to be related to my issue. I have tried different SATA ports, cables, new cables, etc. None of these did anything to fix it. My wiring is not very haphazard, and there is no nearby interference. I continue to believe there is something 'different' (read 'wrong') with these drives that is causing the issue. Other drives work fine on these SATA cables, ports, and power. Also, both problem drives are the same brand/model. These drives seem to work without this issue in the USB enclosure, which isn't surprising (different power, SATA, etc, conditions, and whatever chip/interface).

Also, the problem drives appeared to work in High Sierra, but Catalina caused the -50 error issue.

Last edited:
Use Terminal to Erase and reformat the drive that can't be initialised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back