Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Help! HP 8300 sff turns off during boot up (OC, post backup attempt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hp 8300 elite sff
CPU
i7-3770 CPU
Graphics
GT 710
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

I've been running Catalina on my HP 8300 sff for several months successfully. This weekend, I attempted to copy my SSD to a new, bigger SSD.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive, and I copied my EFI folder from the source EFI partition to the destination partition. I also edited the plist.config on the new drive's EFI to include the OC picker on boot up, so I could select the correct drive.

Now on start up, the computer goes straight to the Apple logo (which reflects my boot-up settings before today) and then mid-way through, the computer just shuts off. No error messages other than "ocs: no schema for dummy power management at 7 index context <Quirks>!". I've attempted re-starting several times, same result.

Not sure what to do, since I can't even get to the boot screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Small update:

If I physically unplug the new drive, I can boot up with the old drive. If I unplug the original drive and boot up with the new drive, I get the shutdown behavior at boot up.

Should I get a USB->Sata dongle and try and wipe the new drive and start over?

"ocs: no schema for dummy power management at 7 index context <Quirks>!"

Indicates an issue in your config.plist. Either the Quirk has been selected by mistake, or the quirk is missing from the config.plist.

You need to check your config.plist against the Sample.plist to see which is causing the issue.

You also need to check the booter options are set correctly, as setting one of a few options to False/No or 0 could prevent your system showing the Picker List or OC GUI boot screen.

Regarding using Carbon Copy Cloner 4/5 with Catalina. This can be problematic given the extra security that Apple have implemented with the APFS disk formatting. Read the information in the link below.

So, I got a SATA-USB adapter and started the process over. Reformatted the new drive APFS. On CCC, I selected Safety Net off. Cloning completed as normal, and I can confirm that CCC created a system and data volume. The new drive's system volume shows Catalina installed.

I manually copied the EFI again, and I made sure that the booter options were set correctly. I do think last time these didn't save correctly.

Now, on bootup, I'm seeing the picker, however only my original drive is showing there. Really at a loss here.

SOLVED!

Some combination of using Super Duper! instead of CCC, and using USB 2 port instead of USB 3 for connecting the USB-SATA adapter allowed the clone to show up in the picker and it booted up without issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back