Graphics
GeForce GTX 980 (PNY)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
To all the smart people who monitor this forum, I ask if any of you has an idea about how I can solve the following problem:

I used the excellent instructions posted by tomtomx86 (http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...1650v3-gtx-980-ti-osx-10-11-1-el-capitan.html) to get an ASROCK X99 Extreme 4-3.1 to work with a 6-core E5-1650v3 CPU. The system is working great!

However, I have an application that really needs 12 cores/24 threads to run properly and so I am trying to replace the 6-core CPU with a 12-core version.

I have taken the following steps:

• Make Clonezilla image of working system so that I can easily revert back when experiments fail
  • Boot in Linux to get new DSDT and SSDT files with the system running 12-cores (just in case they are different with 6-core vs 12-core)
  • Boot in OS X to replace DSDT and SSDT in /EFI/Clover...
  • Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext's info.plist to change "IOCPUNumber" from "11" to "23"
  • Touch /Library/Extensions (that's where Multibeast puts VoodooTSCSync.kext)
  • Rebuild kextcache
  • Reboot

OS X stops booting at the following message:
AppleKeyStore Starting (BUILT DEC 10 2015)​

If I follow the above procedure but DO NOT rebuild the kextcache I end up getting stuck at this error:

Currrent tsc from rdtsc64() is 896715635541. Rendezvouing..

I get the same error if I just boot with my USB stick that was pre-configured for a 6-core CPU.

I have tried removing VoodooTSCSync.kext altogether and I get stuck at this error:
**** [IOBluetoothFamily] [SearchForTransportEvebtTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!​

One strange thing I noticed in the OS X boot messages are the CPU ProcessorID's. As you can see in the attached images, they show:

ProcessorID=0
ProcessorID=2
ProcessorID=4
ProcessorID=6
ProcessorID=8
ProcessorID=10
ProcessorID=16
ProcessorID=18
ProcessorID=20
ProcessorID=22
ProcessorID=24
ProcessorID=26
ProcessorID=1
ProcessorID=3
ProcessorID=5
ProcessorID=7
ProcessorID=9
ProcessorID=11
ProcessorID=17
ProcessorID=19
ProcessorID=21
ProcessorID=23
ProcessorID=25
ProcessorID=27

So, it's as if there are 28 cores, not 24, but cores 12, 13, 14, and 15 are missing. When I boot in Windows, it shows Cores 0-23 as I would expect.

I'm wondering if the ProcessorID confusion is causing grief for OS X.

Any good ideas and suggestions about how to overcome the boot problem would be welcomed! Thank you in advance.

Andrew

P.S. Here's my boot screen with the tsc error (when I was NOT rebuilding the kext cache)

12-core-boot.JPG

Here's my boot screen with the AppleKeyStore Starting error when I DO rebuild the kextcache:

KeyStore.jpg

Hey,
I have this same CPU–– the E5-2690V3. I haven't been able to pass the PCI Configuration Begin message for any combination of boot flags in 10.11.3. Have you been able to pass that message? I'm going to try and boot into 10.11 now and see if I'm getting the same error as you. I've tried with CPUs=1 and still get stuck at PCI Configuration Begin.

I've had no problems with 10.10.5 using the 10.9.5 PCI kexts though, so if you need to be up and running quickly I recommend that.

Hi Jonisign,

Which 10.9.5 PCI kexts are you referring to? I have many real Macs in my office still running 10.9.5 so presumably I can take them from there.

What's the procedure used for installing 10.10.5 on the X99 motherboards? Do you have a good one? And what's the right procedure for copying the 10.9.5 kexts and putting them into 10.10.5?

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Jonisign,

I tried the Yosemite installation that you referred to -- I followed the steps exactly. It appears I'm able to get past all the CPU issues. I get past PCI configuration begin and end. However, the installation gets stuck at this error:

[PCI Configuration end, bridges 5, devices 86 ]
netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device
mcache: 24CPU(s), 64 bytes CPU cache line size
mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split]
H000 cannot assert wake from D3cold
H001 cannot assert wake from D3cold
com.appleAppleFSCompressionTyleDataless kmod start
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: 414A90004-F9C7-370-A720-45443A05CD93
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources></string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><stinrg ID="2">boot-uid-media<string></dict>
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib kmod start

I have tried all manner of changes to the boot flogs -- with and without "-x", with PCIRootUID=0/1.

Any ideas? I will try later today removing the two additional PCI-e cards I have installed (in addition to the Nvidia 980). But do you know what this means?

Hi Andrew, I cannot help you with your problem, but I have purchased the same motherboard, but using a E5-1620-V3 cpu.

I am struggling to make progress to the installer however. You can see my support thread here but I was wondering if you did anything different from TomTom86's guide to get your motherboard to work. Which bios are you using?

You are compiling the DSDT from linux with iASL? I get errors when I try to compile. Any advice? They are mainly "19309, 6051, Address Min is greater than Address Max"

What about SSDT?

I had continuous OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi errors and could only get past them by changing CsrActiveConfig to 0x67. Did you do this? or did you do something else?

Any help you can provide I would really appreciate. thanks

Edit: for the DSDT errors I tried fixing them by changing this:
Code:
                WordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,
                    0x0000,             // Granularity
                    0x4158,             // Range Minimum
                    0x0000,             // Range Maximum
                    0x0000,             // Translation Offset
                    0x0001,             // Length
                    ,, , TypeStatic)

to

Code:
                WordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,
                    0x0000,             // Granularity
                    0x4158,             // Range Minimum
                    0x4159,             // Range Maximum
                    0x0000,             // Translation Offset
                    0x0002,             // Length
                    ,, , TypeStatic)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back