Contribute
Register

Help! Frequent random reboots out of nowhere after years of no issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
Intel
Hi Guys,

I have a z97x-ud5h / 4770k (non overclocked) / 16gb / Yosemite / clover build.

I use it all day every day in my commercial audio mastering studio. I haven't updated or touched a component of the computer (including software) for a year and half - and the operation has been flawless. I depend on this machine.

As of this morning the computer been randomly locking up and rebooting with very short intervals - making it impossible to use. The mouse locks up, and within a second the computer has restarted itself.

I've tried clearing the CMOS to no avail. I understand that this may impossible to diagnose remotely - but what would you guys look to first?

- It seems like MAYBE this problem is triggered by higher cpu loads (audio work) but I cannot be sure just yet.

I'm a sitting duck here - so even if I order an entire new rig today, i'm putting thousands of dollars or bookings on hold - so ANYTHING is appreciated. Thank you SOOO MUCH!

EDIT:

I just ran prime 95 for 5 minutes or so without issues, I know that's not a very long sample size.

The CPU cooling is noctua / artic silver or whatever it's called. I don't have any apps or drivers to check temps (that i'm aware of) but checking them in the bios shows no issues at all.

I've got 2 hard drives in the computer - one solid state and one caviar black for audio - both have 180/300 gb of free space respectively.

I also have the recording drive synced with dropbox - I had issues some time ago with this (and the network kext) causing issues with freezes (though no reboots) but that was on Multibeast and, again, this current configuration has been in place for 18 months with zero issues.

Last edited:
I should also add that I'm running a geforce 610 display card.

I understand that this may impossible to diagnose remotely - but what would you guys look to first?

I would check the hard drive - If it is filling up or failing you will have problems.
Also check CPU fan and thermal paste - High temps will give similar problems.
Repair permissions.

Thanks! I'm going to add some info to the OP.

Any other ideas? I'm open to anything at this point - what could have possibly changed over night?

Any other ideas? I'm open to anything at this point - what could have possibly changed over night?
Run a test on your ram from a Memtest 86 USB drive. Ram that goes bad can cause problems like this.
You can use the free version if you'd like. You boot from the USB not into OS X to do the testing. That way
it can test a greater portion of your ram.

http://www.memtest86.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back