Motherboard
windows
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have windows 8 laptop and I want to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on another partition seperate from my what windows is on what programs would I need to do so I don't want to use a usb I can use a dvd to download mac os x snow leopard but I want to do it by dvd and download it to a partition without deleting windows 8 please help.

I have windows 8 laptop and I want to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on another partition seperate from my what windows is on what programs would I need to do so I don't want to use a usb I can use a dvd to download mac os x snow leopard but I want to do it by dvd and download it to a partition without deleting windows 8 please help.

First of all determine if your laptop is using Ivy Bridge CPU - if it is, you will need to use Mountain Lion, not Snow Leopard as there is no support for the Ivy Bridge hardware in Snow Leopard.

Next, determine if Win8 is installed legacy or EFI mode:
use the search to find the disk management tool and launch it
select your hard drive in the top pane
look at the partitions in the lower pane - what do you see?
If you see a System reserved partition and Primary partition only (partitions to the right after Win8 partition do not matter - they are usually installed by the laptop vendor), then it was installed legacy.
If you see a 300Mb recovery partition, a 100Mb System partition, a 128Mb MSR partition and a Primary partition, then it is installed UEFI.

If installed Legacy mode, you will have to reformat your HDD/SSD and install both Win8 and OS X from scratch.
If installed UEFI mode, then you can shrink the Win8 partition to get some room, create a partition there, boot the OS X installer, format and install on that partition.

However, you will not be able to boot with Chimera because it can't see the Win8 boot files partition - you will need to use clover or modify the Win8 BCD to see the OS X partition or use the function hot key to select a partition to boot from.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Attachments

• INFORMATION_zps3f73172f.jpg
    INFORMATION_zps3f73172f.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 423
keep in mind I want to keep windows 8 it was pre installed on my laptop I do not have a disk for it, I dont know if it is possible to install Mountain Lion before Snow leopard I thought you have to Have to install Snow leopard first then Mountain Lion

OK, your Win8 is installed UEFI. You can click on the C:\ partition, select the action button and select shrink and shrink the C:\ partition to create some free space for your OS X. Since you have 175Gb unused on the NTFS partition, I would say shrink it 75Gb - that leaves you 100Gb for Windows files and allows you a comfortable margin for OS X and apps/files you might add there.

Then follow http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html to install OS X on the free space on the drive. You will need to use Clover for your boot loader or edit your Win8 BCD to boot with the Win8 boot loader and select OS X to boot or you can use the Function hot key to select the OS X partition to boot.

Note that you need access to a Mac or PC-Mac to download the Install Mountain Lion app and create the UniBeast USB installer. You might also want to wait a couple of weeks until Apple releases 10.9 Mavericks.

OK, your Win8 is installed UEFI. You can click on the C:\ partition, select the action button and select shrink and shrink the C:\ partition to create some free space for your OS X. Since you have 175Gb unused on the NTFS partition, I would say shrink it 75Gb - that leaves you 100Gb for Windows files and allows you a comfortable margin for OS X and apps/files you might add there.

Then follow http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html to install OS X on the free space on the drive. You will need to use Clover for your boot loader or edit your Win8 BCD to boot with the Win8 boot loader and select OS X to boot or you can use the Function hot key to select the OS X partition to boot.

Note that you need access to a Mac or PC-Mac to download the Install Mountain Lion app and create the UniBeast USB installer. You might also want to wait a couple of weeks until Apple releases 10.9 Mavericks.
I dont have a mac I used to have a Snow leopard CD and I dont know where it went and I dont have a usb stick I only have dvd r and dvd r dual layer plus I am going to install Snow Leopard then upgrade to mountain lion also How do I Format The Partition How should the settings look like when formating it to install snow leopard

I dont have a mac I used to have a Snow leopard CD and I dont know where it went and I dont have a usb stick I only have dvd r and dvd r dual layer plus I am going to install Snow Leopard then upgrade to mountain lion also How do I Format The Partition How should the settings look like when formating it to install snow leopard

If you don't have a USB flash thumb drive of at least 8Gb in size and can't find your Snow Leopard DVD then you are kinda up the creek as the saying goes.

How do you plan to install SL if you don't have an installation DVD?
How do you plan to install Mountain Lion without a thumb drive to create your UniBeast installer?

And you don't format the partition with the Windows disk management tool, you format it with OS X disk utility from the installation software.

Could I use VMWARE a virtual machine get the files off of there or can I buy a snow leopard disc then install it and then just upgrade to mountain lion from the app store and download it there when Im on the mac partition

Could I use VMWARE a virtual machine get the files off of there or can I buy a snow leopard disc then install it and then just upgrade to mountain lion from the app store and download it there when Im on the mac partition
Yes, you can purchase a Snow Leopard installation disc from the Apple Store - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You can then install SL, immediately purchase/download the install ML app, create a UniBeast USB and install ML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back