Contribute
Register

Help! Dual Boot Issue (Windows 7 & ML 10.8.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5Ghz
Graphics
Inno3D GTX 460 SE
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I followed rehabman's guide (Splendid guide!!!) and managed to successfully setup a dual boot system with Windows 7 and ML, using Chimera 2.1.1. Throughout today evening I spent in installing all required softwares in Windows and updating Windows with all the updates, packs, etc

As a last step I Secure Erased my old SSD drives, by connecting them to the system and booting with the OCZ toolbox.

When I reconnected my new SSD (With Windows & ML), and booted to the Chimera options, i got a boot error when I selected Windows. The message stated that I will need to repair the Windows installation from the original DVD. The repair utility mentioned that the startup options were wrong and asked if that can be fixed. Without thinking I said Yes.

Now, I'm in a state where as soon as I start the system, it straight away goes into Windows. So Close, yet so far.

From my limited knowledge it looks like the MBT has gone out of sync or something like that (Remember doing that in Section B of the guide).

Can someone please help me here as I don't want to start all over again :(

I followed rehabman's guide (Splendid guide!!!) and managed to successfully setup a dual boot system with Windows 7 and ML, using Chimera 2.1.1. Throughout today evening I spent in installing all required softwares in Windows and updating Windows with all the updates, packs, etc

As a last step I Secure Erased my old SSD drives, by connecting them to the system and booting with the OCZ toolbox.

When I reconnected my new SSD (With Windows & ML), and booted to the Chimera options, i got a boot error when I selected Windows. The message stated that I will need to repair the Windows installation from the original DVD. The repair utility mentioned that the startup options were wrong and asked if that can be fixed. Without thinking I said Yes.

Now, I'm in a state where as soon as I start the system, it straight away goes into Windows. So Close, yet so far.

From my limited knowledge it looks like the MBT has gone out of sync or something like that (Remember doing that in Section B of the guide).

Can someone please help me here as I don't want to start all over again :(
When you repaired Windows it overwrote the boot sector.
Boot with the UniBeast USB, select OS X icon. At desktop, re-install Chimera/Chameleon boot loader. Eject/remove UniBeast USB and reboot. Problem should be fixed.

I already did that through multibeast, but it still goes straight into Windows.

Edit:
Hurray!!! I've nailed down the reason for the problem I was facing. As per the guide I had followed instructions (Section G: Cleanup Chimera Menu) and hidden the drives/partitions I did not want to see in the Menu. All that worked out great.

But then I went on to disconnect my SSD and connect my older two SSDs so that I could secure erase them. After completing that, I reconnected my newer SSD (One with Windows & ML) but in all this looks like the Disk identifiers changed and when I booted the wrong disks were getting hidden.

Hence only visible partition appeared to be Windows, so, it booted straight to Windows.

Hence only visible partition appeared to be Windows, so, it booted straight to Windows.

Of course, it didn't really go "straight to Windows" as it was getting there via Chimera. That is you were seeing Chimera and the countdown timer before Windows started. And so that little detail left out is where the confusion started...

Glad you got it figured...

I already did that through multibeast, but it still goes straight into Windows.

Edit:
Hurray!!! I've nailed down the reason for the problem I was facing. As per the guide I had followed instructions (Section G: Cleanup Chimera Menu) and hidden the drives/partitions I did not want to see in the Menu. All that worked out great.

But then I went on to disconnect my SSD and connect my older two SSDs so that I could secure erase them. After completing that, I reconnected my newer SSD (One with Windows & ML) but in all this looks like the Disk identifiers changed and when I booted the wrong disks were getting hidden.

I'm having the same problem! But I don't know how you fixed it or I don't understand what you are saying.

I just finished building my hackintosh with a gigabyte ump4th and 2 brand new ssd drives. I had some problems with the unibeast USB
Not being recognized for preferred priority in the bios. And but in a round about way got ios installed and jjust manually started the drive. I then got windows started after the ios. Both times unplugging the drives and isolating the drive I was installing on. When I plugged everything together (all the drives). It would not go to the select menu and just went strait to windows over and over again. So the only option under the bios for drive order for the ios drive is the UEFI. OPTION but it skips over it. If I directly set it f12 I get the chimera prompt. Any ideas ????

I'm having the same problem! But I don't know how you fixed it or I don't understand what you are saying.

I just finished building my hackintosh with a gigabyte ump4th and 2 brand new ssd drives. I had some problems with the unibeast USB
Not being recognized for preferred priority in the bios. And but in a round about way got ios installed and jjust manually started the drive. I then got windows started after the ios. Both times unplugging the drives and isolating the drive I was installing on. When I plugged everything together (all the drives). It would not go to the select menu and just went strait to windows over and over again. So the only option under the bios for drive order for the ios drive is the UEFI. OPTION but it skips over it. If I directly set it f12 I get the chimera prompt. Any ideas ????
What he is talking about is hiding partitions that he doesn't want to see an icon for when he boots to the Chimera selection screen. If you have not hidden any partitions, then it will not apply to your problem.

If you follow the guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html you should have no problems with your dual boot.

Yeah I went through that guide. But for some reason it's not seeing my ios disk and passing it by and loading the second priority drive. When I disable the UEFI. the drive completely disappears and I only see my windows drive.

Yeah I went through that guide. But for some reason it's not seeing my ios disk and passing it by and loading the second priority drive. When I disable the UEFI. the drive completely disappears and I only see my windows drive.

It is a little difficult to tell from your description, but if it goes right to Windows, then it might be 'boot0' error:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion I need to really look oover the guide again. These 2 ssd drives are brand new and 250 gb each. Would this happen on these small drives? Also I haven't seen those errors. When I disable the UEIF the drive port disappears and only 1 drive remains I might be doing something wrong with the UNI BEAST USB. After installing multibeast not sure.

I can also select the osx drive manually and get the boot prompt that way but not automatically​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back