i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After having problems with Clover post install of Mojave (no audio Line-in working on combo jack and no Bluetooth on DW1560 )
I've finally decided to re-install Mojave 10.14.6 with Opencore version using 100% working OC EFI folder shared by a friendly forum user.

// Opencore 0.6.7 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Dell XPS 13 9360 i5 7200U FHD / DW1560 wifi/bluetooth card, Realtek ALC256 (ALC3246) audio//

What works :

1.Wifi & Bluetooth work ( I couldn't get bluetooth work before with my Clover Mojave install at all ) so this is great!

2. Internal Sound speakers & Microphone work with clear sound - but there are other audio issues ( see below)

3. Sleep function works - computer wakes up only by power key .

4. 2 USB 3 ports work

Issues :
1. Brigthness controls keys F10/F11/F12 don't work - brightness only works from Preferences ( used to work in Clover)

2 .PrtScr ( F13) key disables trackpad when pressed ( how to disable that?)

3. function keys F1/F2/F3 don't control sound volume up/down/off - can control volume only from prefs or menu bar.

4. Sound issues :
a) Headphones are recognized but the sound is very distorted (clear sound on built in speakers) 2 stripe cable stereo jack.
b) No sound if pluggin in Headphone set - any headphone/mic headset with 3 stripes cable stereo jack. (worked in Clover )
c) Function keys K1/F2/F3 don't control sound volume at all - only volume control in Preferences or menus bar.
d) External audio in 2 stripe cable stereo jack - wasn't able to test yet.

5.Left over of Clover UIEFI boot options entries are still present in BIOS boot options even though I've installed Opencore from scratch (?)

No idea what cases those issues ,
could be because I've installed OpenCore USB Mojave installer on the SSD with previous Mojave Clover installation - (though I've reformatted the internal M.2 SSD during install)?
Or Maybe Clover corrupted my new open core installation somehow as it is still in BIOS boot options ?
Or it has something to do with the Kexts versions in kexts folder in OC ?

Thanks in advance for any ideas
I am new to Opencore so please bare with me
please have a look at the screenshots
UPDATE : attached my OC EFI folder

Attachments

• Dell XPS 13 9360 OC Kexts.png
    Dell XPS 13 9360 OC Kexts.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 111
  • OC EFI.png
    OC EFI.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Opencore Boot Menue.jpg
    Opencore Boot Menue.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 103
  • XPS 13 BIOS UEFI Boot Options.jpg
    XPS 13 BIOS UEFI Boot Options.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 135
  • EFI.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Post a copy of your OpenCore EFI folder. Remember to remove/redact your Serial number, SystemUUID, MLB and ROM from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

1. From the Screenshots above my initial query would be why you have the DSDT folder in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder. All it does is contain disassembled ACPI tables, which do absolutely nothing for your system. I would remove the whole DSDT folder. Save it somewhere else if you want to keep it but just don't keep it in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  2. My next query would be how many versions of VoodooInput.kext do you have in your setup. Recent versions of VoodooPS2Controller.kext have this 'Input kext' in the plugins folder, as does Voodooi2C.kext. Do you have three different versions of the same kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder?
  3. Your audio issues are likely to be related to using the wrong Audio Layout ID. Probably one that is a close match but not completely correct for your Dell laptop. Which Audio Codec does your laptop use? Which Layout ID are you using?
  4. The hangover of the Clover Bios entries may require you to reset your Bios to defaults, and to then to set the bios to work with macOS. I have provided the common Bios Settings for running OpenCore and macOS:
    1. Disable
      • Fast Boot
      • Secure Boot
      • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
      • Parallel Port
      • VT-d
      • CSM
      • Thunderbolt
      • Intel SGX
      • Intel Platform Trust
      • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled
      • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well
    2. Enable
      • VT-x
      • Above 4G decoding
      • Hyper-Threading
      • Execute Disable Bit
      • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
      • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
      • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or greater
      • SATA Mode: AHCI
    3. Your Bios may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.

You will also need to make sure your Graphics options are set correctly, i.e. Intel graphics enabled, and IGPU, IGFX, Internal set as default, so your IGPU is priority graphics option.
  5. You may need to use a different way to fix brightness, Acidanthera's BrighnessKeys may be the answer to this issue - https://github.com/acidanthera/BrightnessKeys

Post a copy of your OpenCore EFI folder. Remember to remove/redact your Serial number, SystemUUID, MLB and ROM from the config.plist before you post a copy here.

will do
  1. From the Screenshots above my initial query would be why you have the DSDT folder in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder. All it does is contain disassembled ACPI tables, which do absolutely nothing for your system. I would remove the whole DSDT folder. Save it somewhere else if you want to keep it but just don't keep it in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.y a
I have no idea as I ve just copied and paste OC EFI folder generously offered on this forum to me by another forum member with exactly the same hardware configuration Dell XPS 13 9630 laptop ( same graphics and processor ) , Being absolute beginner to mackintosh and a total Noob to OpenCore I just copy-paste his EFI into EFI folder on my Mojave USB installer .
I know its nothing to be proud of but I've been struggling to get Bluetooth working on my previous Clover install
so I hoped this install would solve all issues as this OC EFI is 100% working according to him.
  1. My next query would be how many versions of VoodooInput.kext do you have in your setup. Recent versions of VoodooPS2Controller.kext have this 'Input kext' in the plugins folder, as does Voodooi2C.kext. Do you have three different versions of the same kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder?y paste
no idea , as I copied another user EFI ( see above reply)
  1. Your audio issues are likely to be related to using the wrong Audio Layout ID. Probably one that is a close match but not completely correct for your Dell laptop. Which Audio Codec does your laptop use? Which Layout ID are you using?
new to OpenCore so got no idea where to look.
codec is Realtek ALC256 (ALC3246) Dell XPS 13 9360
audio works internally but combo jack doesn't work correctly , headphones audio distorted , no volume control trough the function keys.
  1. The hangover of the Clover Bios entries may require you to reset your Bios to defaults, and to then to set the bios to work with macOS. I have provided the common Bios Settings for running OpenCore and macOS:
    1. Disable
      • Fast Boot
      • Secure Boot
      • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
      • Parallel Port
      • VT-d
      • CSM
      • Thunderbolt
      • Intel SGX
      • Intel Platform Trust
      • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled
      • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well
    2. Enable
      • VT-x
      • Above 4G decoding
      • Hyper-Threading
      • Execute Disable Bit
      • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
      • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
      • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or greater
      • SATA Mode: AHCI
    3. Your Bios may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.
will go through BIOS setting again, do I need to manually remove all boot enrties ?

1. You will also need to make sure your Graphics options are set correctly, i.e. Intel graphics enabled, and IGPU, IGFX, Internal set as default, so your IGPU is priority graphics option.
in BIOS ?
thank you for reply @Edhawk
will post EFI folder later

will do

I have no idea as I ve just copied and paste OC EFI folder generously offered on this forum to me by another forum member with exactly the same hardware configuration Dell XPS 13 9630 laptop
the phrase "trying to run before you can walk"

you really need to read up on opencore and how it works and what settings are required for your system

hotpatching guide for your Fn keys would help

should help with your headphone issue:

Post a copy of your OpenCore EFI folder. Remember to remove/redact your Serial number, SystemUUID, MLB and ROM from the config.plist before you post a copy here
attached my OC EFI folder to my 1st post
  1. From the Screenshots above my initial query would be why you have the DSDT folder in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder. All it does is contain disassembled ACPI tables, which do absolutely nothing for your system. I would remove the whole DSDT folder. Save it somewhere else if you want to keep it but just don't keep it in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
removed DSDT folder

I am using an older version of OpenCore 0.6.7 ( current OC is 0.7.3) does it needs to be updated or can I troubleshoot post install staying on this version?

I take it the version attached to post #1 is a copy of your revised/edited EFI folder.

Shouldn't matter too much which version of OC you are running. The Older versions will not have the newer OC options and settings, but should work just fine all the same.

You have your Audio device listed under the DeviceProperties > Delete section in your config.plist, with an entry for MaximumBootBeepVolume. Why?

Other than the above entry, which I don't understand the reasoning for, your config.plist is OK.

It contains a few unused Kernel > Patch entries, but as they are disabled all they do is make your config.plist longer.

Some of the SSDT's you are using could have better names, so the identify which aspects they are patching, i.e. SSDT-USBX.aml also contains a Fake EC entry for your laptop. So naming it SSDT-USBX-EC.aml would be better, similarly with SSDT-PCI0.aml.

You have a number of unused Drivers and Tools in the respective sub-folders, but as they are not enabled in the config I doubt this matters. Although the number of unused HFSPlus.... drivers is unusual.

I could see nothing untoward regarding the Audio device other than the first item mentioned above.

I take it the version attached to post #1 is a copy of your revised/edited EFI folder.
yes
Shouldn't matter too much which version of OC you are running. The Older versions will not have the newer OC options and settings, but should work just fine all the same.
thanks for clearing this one up as I've been getting a warning from the latest OC Configuratior that it's made for OC 0.7.3 and is "use at your own risk" message . as I am new to OpenCore I don't have a clear idea on how to update it yet. so I stay on OC 0.6.7 till I get my brightness and volume controls working at least.

Last edited:
You have your Audio device listed under the DeviceProperties > Delete section in your config.plist, with an entry for MaximumBootBeepVolume. Why?
I've been searching trough Dortania install /post install guides can't find any info on what it stands for and whether it should be there or not. I don't have any boot chimney sound or OC gun showing at startup.
Other than the above entry, which I don't understand the reasoning for, your config.plist is OK.
thank you for going through it.
It contains a few unused Kernel > Patch entries, but as they are disabled all they do is make your config.plist longer.

Some of the SSDT's you are using could have better names, so the identify which aspects they are patching, i.e. SSDT-USBX.aml also contains a Fake EC entry for your laptop. So naming it SSDT-USBX-EC.aml would be better, similarly with SSDT-PCI0.aml.
how to identify what they are patching?
how to go about renaming them , just typing in a diff name or is there specific strict approach?
You have a number of unused Drivers and Tools in the respective sub-folders, but as they are not enabled in the config I doubt this matters. Although the number of unused HFSPlus.... drivers is unusual.
how to check witch ones are unused or not needed and clean them out?
I could see nothing untoward regarding the Audio device other than the first item mentioned above.
I do have the sound - its just distorted on headphones and lost volume controls though the Fn keys , same for brightness. I've lost those controls already under the Clover before I've installed clean installation of Opencore.
My guess is that Clover somehow left/ kept some of its settings on a deeper level ?

the phrase "trying to run before you can walk"
you are right , I am ashamed.
my motivation to use Opencore was "jump straight into the water to learn how to swim " approach ;)
you really need to read up on opencore and how it works and what settings are required for your system
I've been reading for a month now.. some stuff I get , but lots of it is still overwhelming .
hotpatching guide for your Fn keys would help
this guide is for Clover , would it work for OpenCore just the same ?

I'e lost Fn keys controlling volume and brightness prior to OC install already under Clover while messing with Bluetooth, the never function even under clean OC install - guess something underneath left from Clover?
should help with your headphone issue:
not sure about how to implement this without screwing my OC install up...?
I do have audio its just has issues on the combo jack input-output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back