Contribute
Register

HELP? CS6 weird panic/freeze/not sure what to call it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X79-UD5
CPU
Graphics
GTX 680
hello all!

Occasionally I have a strange issue when using CS6 (Premiere Pro and After Effects). This happens primarily with Premiere, but sometimes when it is required to work with more complex files (such as a mix of .aep's and .png's) it does this and I have to do a hard shut down via the power button on my tower (couldn't get the picture to rotate correctly...but you get the idea)-

photo2.jpg

When this happens, I am often able to save via shortcuts before I shut down and my mouse can still move around, but is unable to click anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope this is an obvious answer haha

If you need specs let me know and I'll make a quick list.

Thanks!

-George

Sorry for the long gap betweens replies. It may be due to a couple of factors.

1. If it only happens when using Adobe software, something maybe conflicting with the Mercury Engine GPU Accelerator. The 660Ti is not officially on Adobes support list. Even with the simple hack in place, it maybe causing an issue.

2a. If it happens even outside of Adobe software, it may be caused be heat expansion/contraction of the PCIe connection between the board and the card. This is rare, but cases have been documented.

2b. It may be a bad connection. Have you tried using the different connection ports found on the 660ti? I would run through all the ports on the card and see if that makes a difference. It might be an actual problem with the card, again only occurring during a heat up/heat down cycle isolated to a single I/O video port when the card comes under a heavy compute load which the Mercury Engine will most certainly cause.

2c. Depending on your board, try a different PCIe slot (if you have one). Narrow down the possible problems.

I guess another question I have is what power supply are you using? A funky power supply can cause all sorts of crazy things to happen to a computer. Through out my years messing around with this stuff, 85% of problems have been caused by power supplies.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm in Tokyo so it might take me a day to reply depending on where you live.

kpro, thank you so much for the reply. I as well apologize for the delay in response, I have been traveling as well for work. I am jealous you are/were in Tokyo...Japan is one of my favorite places!

Now that I am back home, I will try out those suggestions and get back to you with any results.

Also, for power, I am using the Corsair 850AX 850W RT.

Thanks again and I will get back soon after I try those suggestions!

Sorry for the long gap betweens replies. It may be due to a couple of factors.

1. If it only happens when using Adobe software, something maybe conflicting with the Mercury Engine GPU Accelerator. The 660Ti is not officially on Adobes support list. Even with the simple hack in place, it maybe causing an issue.

2a. If it happens even outside of Adobe software, it may be caused be heat expansion/contraction of the PCIe connection between the board and the card. This is rare, but cases have been documented.

2b. It may be a bad connection. Have you tried using the different connection ports found on the 660ti? I would run through all the ports on the card and see if that makes a difference. It might be an actual problem with the card, again only occurring during a heat up/heat down cycle isolated to a single I/O video port when the card comes under a heavy compute load which the Mercury Engine will most certainly cause.

2c. Depending on your board, try a different PCIe slot (if you have one). Narrow down the possible problems.

I guess another question I have is what power supply are you using? A funky power supply can cause all sorts of crazy things to happen to a computer. Through out my years messing around with this stuff, 85% of problems have been caused by power supplies.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm in Tokyo so it might take me a day to reply depending on where you live.

Try and see if your Mercury Playback Engine is working well with your GTX660Ti. Turn off the GPU rendering and work in Premiere. If you get the same freezing issues then it is something else. Judging by your original post, I will say that your 660Ti is not working well with Premiere and this is common with non supported cards.

Good luck either way.

BTW, are you using GraphicsEnabler=no?

SOLVED

I was finally able to try some of these suggestions (thank you for the support) and I think we have solved the issue.

The culprit (as many suspected)- Mercury Engine GPU Accelerator due to the 660ti being not natively supported by Adobe.

After trying many different exports with the Mercury CUDA on and off within Premiere Pro CC, it was a <20% successful export with the Accelerator on and 100% with the Accelerator off. I rarely had any issues while editing it always froze during export or multi-layer .png work within Premiere or sometimes AE.

Solution- I will be purchasing a natively supported GPU in the near future.

Thanks everyone for the help, sorry it took so long to get back, but I am happy that it was such a simple solution.

-George

If anyone is in the market for a 660ti, let me know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back