Contribute
Register

Help! Can't install OpenCore 0.5.9 + Catalina 10.15.5 on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra + i9-9900k + Radeon RX 5700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 570
Please, help! I'm an absolute newbie to Macs and macOS. Though I'm a system administrator of Linux and FreeBSD servers. I've been trying my best for several days. I've read a ton of instructions and forum posts, I've seen a lot of videos. I've tried a lot of variants. I've read OpenCore Desktop Guide and ACPI Guide thoroughly.

Is it possible to make a working OpenCore 0.5.9 installer entirely in Windows?

My hardware:
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
i9-9900k
Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corsair memory 2x16 Gb
WD SSD NVMe 1Tb

I tried to make the USB installer several times, but entirely in Windows. When I try to boot from it, it even doesn't offer to install macOS. If I choose "macOS Base System (external)", it starts to load something, but then it sticks and in some time it outputs garbage on the screen. Below are some pictures and my EFI.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or do I need to try to make the installer on any macOS VM? I don't have any real Mac in my disposal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_192118.jpg
    IMG_20200701_192118.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200701_192139_1.jpg
    IMG_20200701_192139_1.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200701_192246.jpg
    IMG_20200701_192246.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 50
  • EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Please, help! I'm an ablolute newbie to Macs and macOS. Though I'm a system administrator of Linux and FreeBSD servers. I've been trying my best for several days. I've read a ton of instructions and forum posts, I've seen a lot of videos. I've tried a lot of variants. I've read OpenCore Desktop Guide and ACPI Guide thoroughly.

Is it possible to make a working OpenCore 0.5.9 installer entirely in Windows?

My hardware:
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
i9-9900k
Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corsair memory 2x16 Gb
WD SSD NVMe 1Tb

I tried to make the USB installer several times, but entirely in Windows. When I try to boot from it, it even doesn't offer to install macOS. If I choose "macPS Base System (external)", it starts to load something, but then it sticks and in some time it outputs garbage on the screen. Below are some pictures and my EFI.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or do I need to try to make the installer on any macOS VM? I don't have any real Mac in my disposal.
"still waiting for root device"

is something you need to look into.....

try this it is for Coffee Lake and will start your system with your 5700
I put the 5700 black screen fix in boot args for you

yes you can make a bootable efi in windows with new tool available on github
note security updates to windows has made it hard to access an efi partition for some reason though
there are 2 tools in the folder
one for downloading macOS and one for creating a basic OC efi
you need to do some work for OC EFI to boot a system follow same config guide for Coffee lake

Attachments

• OC 0.6.0 EFI.zip
    57.6 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Thanks a log guys! Last night I was able to install macOS using the EFI I took from here, unchanged:
Gigabyte z490i ITX / 10900K / Opencore 0.5.9 / Catalina 15.5.5 / Ncase M1 | tonymacx86.com

At first glance, everything is working, but I have not yet checked everything carefully. I'll use your EFI to compare, foster, thank you very much for your kind attention!

BTW, if I make any fatal changes to my working EFI, I hope it will be possible to boot into Linux using Live USB and revert the changes, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back