CPU
i7-4770K/Q87
Graphics
Quadro K2200
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Trying to clean-install El Capitan on a bare drive in an older HP DC7800 with Clover Legacy via Unibeast.

Hardware:

HP Compaq DC7800 CMT
Intel board SLA95 LGA775 with Q35 chipset
4GB DDR2 memory (2GB x 2)
Core 2 Duo E8400 processor
HIS Silence Radeon 6570 graphics card

Can get to Clover boot screen just fine, but no matter how I try to boot from there (safe mode, ignore cache, etc), keep getting fifteen seconds of the white apple on black background, followed by the dreaded (and well documented) kernel panic/auto-reboot. Have tried virtually everything listed on the "Big List of Solutions" post (adding cpus=1 boot argument, placing kexts and dsdt.aml in appropriate folders, etc), but still no-go. Have attached a screen shot that I was able to snap with a camera just before the computer re-booted. Any suggestions to help me simply get to the El Capitan Installer screen? Also, does anyone out there have an up-to-date dsdt for this unit? :banghead:

Thanks much.

BTW: Mavericks runs beautifully on my DC7800. Just haven't been able to get either Yosemite or El Capitan up and running.

BTW 2: No problem running El Capitan on my H87N-wifi mobo with Core I7-4770 and integrated Intel graphics. Just no sound.

Attachments

• el capitan.jpg
    el capitan.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 538
Help! Can't Boot Clover Installer for El Capitan on HP DC7800

Okay, so I've narrowed down the problem. Now, with several boot flags, I've been able to negotiate all arguments except one. When I get the kernel panic now, the main hitch seems to be this:

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x563ebd): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.2/iokit/Kernel
/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1378
Debugger called: <panic>

Have installed the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/10.10 and have tried to boot with flag ACPI=off, neither of which eliminates the problem. Have also checked all of TonyMac's recommended DSDT masks: Darwin, FixUSB, etc, and I've tried booting safe, verbose, w/o cache, etc. Have also built/added my own DSDT, tried using USB in several different ports, and reformatted the bootable USB in both GUID and MBR several times. Still getting the same message. Losing my mind here. Has anyone else found a work-around for the dreaded missing ACPI driver panic?

All I want is to be able to boot to the installer from my USB.

Again, my hardware (which is currently running Mavericks just fine):

HP DC7800 CMT with Q35/Intel Series 3 chipset (Obviously not UEFI
:thumbdown:)
Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 processor
Seagate 750GB SATA (bare drive, GUID/HFS formatted)
HIS Radeon HD6570 Silence card
4GB DDR2 RAM (2GB x 2)
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter

ANY help you great folks in the forum can give me would be greatly appreciated. Have been at this for over a week now. Hour and hours. Getting seriously discouraged here.
:banghead::crazy:

Alas, the learning curve for Clover has proven too steep for me. Wish I could just update from yosemite to el capital with a chameleon installer instead. Just can't get past this message when trying to boot to the El Capitan installer via Clover on my USB stick:

Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x563ebd): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.2/iokit/Kernel

Tried removing my AMD HD6570 Silence card and going with IGP, but that didn't work. Tried MBR instead of GUID during initial HDD formatting, but that didn't work. Tried acpi=off, cpus=1, PCIRootUID=1, and every other boot flag out there. Nope. Tried booting safe, verbose, and with empty caches. Tried different USB ports and frame buffer personalities. Tried rolling back ACPI. Ticked and unticked every mask option suggested in the "Big Solutions List." All no go. Have decided two weeks of trial and error and very little sleep is enough and am sticking with Yosemite for the time being (which is running like a top on my DC7800, btw). Have concluded that Clover just might not be compatible with my old hardware, which is okay, because Yosemite is still awesome and a nice consolation.

If any other DC7800 owner out there has had success with El Capitan and Clover, please give me a shout? Would love to hear from you. Thanks much.
:thumbup:

Hey! I have a DC7800 and is trying to install OS X on it. One problem - no AHCI boot mode.

Configure your Bios in Raid Mode. On DC 7800, this implies AHCI mode

10.11 runs perfectly on this oldie.

Configure your Bios in Raid Mode. On DC 7800, this implies AHCI mode

10.11 runs perfectly on this oldie.
Pls send me EFI folder! I have the same configuration with GTX 650....

TNX!

I gave up on clover for my dc7800 and used Enoch. I can send you my working Extra folder if you want. Note: my graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 8400 GT.

Alas, the learning curve for Clover has proven too steep for me. Wish I could just update from yosemite to el capital with a chameleon installer instead. Just can't get past this message when trying to boot to the El Capitan installer via Clover on my USB stick:

Tried removing my AMD HD6570 Silence card and going with IGP, but that didn't work. Tried MBR instead of GUID during initial HDD formatting, but that didn't work. Tried acpi=off, cpus=1, PCIRootUID=1, and every other boot flag out there. Nope. Tried booting safe, verbose, and with empty caches. Tried different USB ports and frame buffer personalities. Tried rolling back ACPI. Ticked and unticked every mask option suggested in the "Big Solutions List." All no go. Have decided two weeks of trial and error and very little sleep is enough and am sticking with Yosemite for the time being (which is running like a top on my DC7800, btw). Have concluded that Clover just might not be compatible with my old hardware, which is okay, because Yosemite is still awesome and a nice consolation.

If any other DC7800 owner out there has had success with El Capitan and Clover, please give me a shout? Would love to hear from you. Thanks much.
:thumbup:

I gave up on clover for my dc7800 and used Enoch. I can send you my working Extra folder if you want. Note: my graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 8400 GT.

Sorry so late getting back to you on this, but yes, am very interested in your EXTRA folder. Please post or send.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back