Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I'm trying to put together my first build, which I want to run on Mavericks with OS X Server.
What I'm going to use it for:

- Media server
- Backup
- App development

My current component list:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4670
RAM:
Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
HDDs:
WD AV-25 1TB x2, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS, Socket-1150
Cabinet: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0
(Haven't decided on power supply yet. Any suggestions?)

Will this work? And do I really need an i5 processor and 8GB RAM for a server?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi, I'm trying to put together my first build, which I want to run on Mavericks with OS X Server.
What I'm going to use it for:

- Media server
- Backup
- App development

My current component list:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4670
RAM:
Corsair Value DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
HDDs:
WD AV-25 1TB x2, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-PLUS, Socket-1150
Cabinet: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0
(Haven't decided on power supply yet. Any suggestions?)

Will this work? And do I really need an i5 processor and 8GB RAM for a server?

Should all work ok, look for a basic 430-500 watt Corsair PSU in the B.G.
If the I5 and 8GB ram are within your budget can't hurt to have a little extra capacity for
carrying a heavy load. Haven't seen builds with the Asus H81M but try to find out if the
locked MSR issue still persists with that. I'm not the Asus expert in this community. If it
is there are ways to change it. If you go Gigabyte mATX it's never an issue.

Thanks, it seems that the Asus Haswell BIOS is not MSR locked, so I'll go for that!

Personally I'd go for a slightly larger PSU.

Servers you're generally going to be running multiple HDDs (as i'm sure you're aware) and the extra power for these won't hurt even if it's just to provide expandability in the future. I was running 5 HDDs and 2 SSDs off of a 650W psu a while back.

If your budget is really tight and you can only afford the 430W then go for that, but if you can afford to spend the extra £20-£30 you might as well go for a slightly larger one.

Did you get Mavericks running with this motherboard? I have this board too, but I've been waiting for someone else to report a successful build. I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

The Asus motherboard wasn't in stock so I ordered a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, sorry.

The Asus motherboard wasn't in stock so I ordered a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, sorry.

olemno

I wonder if you checked to see if Apples has any Haswell CPUs in their server line as I userstand it they use only the XEON cpus which OSX Server will run on, or am I missing something here... after all I am a n00b :crazy:

Yes I am a n00b... did a little digging and I see that to get OSX Server now - all you need to have is a Mac w OSX Mavericks on it.
Now this means you turn your Hack w Mavericks into an OSX server by just running the OSX SERVER installer app from the App store.
SO HOW does this work if you need to make a USB stick to install Mavericks do you need a USB stick for server made.
This I gotta See....
Keep us posted....

You only need to follow the instruction for a normal Mavericks installation, and when you're up and running, you simply install OSX Server from the App Store.

Asus H81M-Plus mobo for Mavericks OS X

Hi, I read your post that you have this Asus H81M-Plus mobo. Did you success installing Mavericks OR Yosemite OS X? If you did, can you please share your multi-beast and installation kexts? Because I have the same mobo with you, but I couldn't find any successes post about Asus H81M-Plus mobo for Mavericks OR Yosemite OS X?
Please share or teach me with appreciated.
Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back