Contribute
Register

Hector (H97N-WIFI / i5-4690 / 16GB RAM) with New Gigabyte 750 TI 2GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Successfully Updated.

Wow - That's a lot of work - The update totally gutted my latest effort with a full UEFI Yosemite build. Wifi shattered, no finder, no safari. I had to scrap it and downgrade to Mavericks again which I can't get to be full UEFI.

Great post though and well thought out Stork

Martin

Actually, after I figured what how to update Hector, it took only 15 minutes. I can't emphasis enough the use of CCC for making a backup before starting an update so you start over by just restoring from the backup.

In all my experience with Apple OS updates over the decades, this was the most onerous update for a small Security Update. I can't recall a small, security update bumping up the build designation.

The only regret I have is the week or so of work i did to get Clover happy with my computer, but it's a lesson learnt for sure. Yosemite 10.10.3 went public beta a few days back, so maybe the new build number is going to be a requisite for installing that when it goes mainstream ... who knows [shrug] :think:

Martin

Incredible work, Stork! Do you think this will be the same process for a 960? Every time this stuff comes up, I'm more and more tempted to just get a 5K. The stingy part of me keeps winning out, though.

Incredible work, Stork! Do you think this will be the same process for a 960? Every time this stuff comes up, I'm more and more tempted to just get a 5K. The stingy part of me keeps winning out, though.
Which process are you referring to? The one in Post #1?

From what I've been reading, the 960 uses the same Web drivers. However, I don't know your systems components (hint, hint).

I followed the instructions but when i get to the desktop everything is choppy and when i got to the nvidia preferences and i chose to use the web drivers and restart the changes don't take effect

Fixed it. Had to change definition to mac pro 6.1

Successfully Updated.

So to summarise, on your rig, you had to remove the nvidia card, switching to the built in intel graphics, install the secuirty update, and nvidia drivers, before reinstalling the nvidia card.

my rig both the installs work fine with the nvidia card in place, but the system kps, after installing the updated nvidia webdrivers.
my system is setup as a macpro 5,1. nvidia gtx 285. im currently using the built in mac os x driver.
strange i bet the driver versions are the same, just modifed installer to pass the verison check?

So to summarise, on your rig, you had to remove the nvidia card, switching to the built in intel graphics, install the secuirty update, and nvidia drivers, before reinstalling the nvidia card.

my rig both the installs work fine with the nvidia card in place, but the system kps, after installing the updated nvidia webdrivers.
my system is setup as a macpro 5,1. nvidia gtx 285. im currently using the built in mac os x driver.
strange i bet the driver versions are the same, just modifed installer to pass the verison check?
The nVida Driver are for the 600, 700 and 900 series cards. Unfortunatel,y the 285 is not supported by the nVidia Web Driver which is why your system works with the Apple drivers. I recommend you uninstall the nVidia Web Driver.

Just to clarify your summary of what I did, I "removed the nVidia card, switched to the built in Intel graphics," booted with the UniBeast (10.10.2) USB dongle, "install the Security Update," rebooted with the UniBeast (10.10.2) USB dongle, uninstalled the nVidia Web Driver, "installed nVidia drivers, before reinstalling the nVidia card." But, you have to do all the steps outlined in Post #193 which is why I listed them all.

Caution > be sure to backup first! You won't regret the investment in the time it takes to do this. Backing up my system saved my behindy several times. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back