Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm having issues with my wi-fi, bluetooth and the ethernet.

The wi-fi interferes with the bluetooth when there is heavy load, e.g. when transferring files on the local network. The bluetooth devices (mouse, keyboard) will loose the connection and/or become sluggish/unresponsive until the wi-fi load is gone.

Also it doesn't appear as if macOS is prioritizing my ethernet connection above the wi-fi in all situations. Both ethernet and wi-fi is connected but sometimes when transferring files I won't get the ethernet speed (my wi-fi connection is bad, so it's noticeable slow) and when this happens the bluetooth devices start acting up just like when there is heavy traffic on the wi-fi. So it definitely looks like it's using the wi-fi instead of the ethernet. Normally I need to restart the computer for it to start using the ethernet connection again.

I have the ethernet connection first in the network service list so it should be prioritized. If I check the route using "route get default" or "route get some-local-address" it show "interface: en3" which is my ethernet connection. This is the case even when it's using the wi-fi instead of the ethernet.

The reason to why I'm using both ethernet and wi-fi is because I haven't been able to get airdrop and continuity to work when I'm only using ethernet.

• Anyone know how/if I can enable airdrop and continuity with bluetooth and ethernet only?
  • Any fix to wi-fi interfering with bluetooth under heavy load? The wifi/bluetooth card and my bluetooth devices are close, nothing between them should interfere the signal.
  • Anyway to make sure the ethernet is always used instead of wi-fi other than for airdrop/continuity?

I'm having issues with my wi-fi, bluetooth and the ethernet.

The wi-fi interferes with the bluetooth when there is heavy load, e.g. when transferring files on the local network. The bluetooth devices (mouse, keyboard) will loose the connection and/or become sluggish/unresponsive until the wi-fi load is gone.

Also it doesn't appear as if macOS is prioritizing my ethernet connection above the wi-fi in all situations. Both ethernet and wi-fi is connected but sometimes when transferring files I won't get the ethernet speed (my wi-fi connection is bad, so it's noticeable slow) and when this happens the bluetooth devices start acting up just like when there is heavy traffic on the wi-fi. So it definitely looks like it's using the wi-fi instead of the ethernet. Normally I need to restart the computer for it to start using the ethernet connection again.

I have the ethernet connection first in the network service list so it should be prioritized. If I check the route using "route get default" or "route get some-local-address" it show "interface: en3" which is my ethernet connection. This is the case even when it's using the wi-fi instead of the ethernet.

The reason to why I'm using both ethernet and wi-fi is because I haven't been able to get airdrop and continuity to work when I'm only using ethernet.

• Anyone know how/if I can enable airdrop and continuity with bluetooth and ethernet only?
    • Any fix to wi-fi interfering with bluetooth under heavy load? The wifi/bluetooth card and my bluetooth devices are close, nothing between them should interfere the signal.
    • Anyway to make sure the ethernet is always used instead of wi-fi other than for airdrop/continuity?

Which WIFI & Bluetooth Solution are you using? Is it a Genuine Apple WIFI/Bluetooth Combo Card?

I think it should be, bought of eBay and named "Apple iMac 802.11AC BCM94360CD BT4.0 1000Mbps Wifi Card".

I think it should be, bought of eBay and named "Apple iMac 802.11AC BCM94360CD BT4.0 1000Mbps Wifi Card".

Same card as mine. When I was going through testing. I found when copying large files over 5Ghz AC the Mouse went laggy. Personally use Ethernet for DATA transfers.

Note. interface en3 is incorrect. Ethernet should be en0 & WIFI should be en1.

Sounds like the issue I'm having, haven't tested if connecting against 2.4hz would make things better.

The Wi-Fi interfering with the bluetooth when there is heavy Wi-Fi load is something I've experienced since I started using Mac, so it's just something I've gotten used to. I haven't tested if it's still the case with the more recent ones but Iv'e had the same issue with MacBooks released between 2008-2012. So I've just assumed it got something to do with the wifi/bluetooth cards or macOS itself, and not my Hackintosh.

If it wasn't for airdrop not working for me when I disable Wi-Fi I would only use Ethernet, but I'm using airdrop rather frequently so it would be really inconvenient if I had to toggle Wi-Fi on and off every time I wanted to move files or use airdrop.

I thought having Ethernet first and Wi-Fi second in the network service list would mean that I always use ethernet except when it's not supported (airdrop), but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I haven't changed or touched the BSD names, they're currently listed as:

en0 Wi-Fi
en1 iPhone
en2 Bluetooth PAN
en3 Ethernet

I'll see if changing them makes any difference.

Sounds like the issue I'm having, haven't tested if connecting against 2.4hz would make things better.

The Wi-Fi interfering with the bluetooth when there is heavy Wi-Fi load is something I've experienced since I started using Mac, so it's just something I've gotten used to. I haven't tested if it's still the case with the more recent ones but Iv'e had the same issue with MacBooks released between 2008-2012. So I've just assumed it got something to do with the wifi/bluetooth cards or macOS itself, and not my Hackintosh.

If it wasn't for airdrop not working for me when I disable Wi-Fi I would only use Ethernet, but I'm using airdrop rather frequently so it would be really inconvenient if I had to toggle Wi-Fi on and off every time I wanted to move files or use airdrop.

I thought having Ethernet first and Wi-Fi second in the network service list would mean that I always use ethernet except when it's not supported (airdrop), but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I haven't changed or touched the BSD names, they're currently listed as:

en0 Wi-Fi
en1 iPhone
en2 Bluetooth PAN
en3 Ethernet

I'll see if changing them makes any difference.

Your BSD names are incorrect. Ethernet should be en0, WIFI en1. If Ethernet isn't en0 then you won't be able to log into the Mac App Store or other Apple Services.

That's strange, I haven't had any issues using Mac App Store or any of the Apple Services. Anyway, I changed the BSD names so that Ethernet is en0, WiFi en1 etc. but it didn't change anything with my issues.

I'm not sure when the WiFi is prioritized and becoming my default network interface, but I suspect it has something do to with waking up from sleep. I don't think I ever experienced the Ethernet been used as the default one and then it suddenly gone over to WiFi while I'm using the hackintosh without it being put to sleep in-between.

The most irritating part is that I haven't found a way to determine which interface is being used. E.g. "route get default" still points to my Ethernet, and in the Service order it's still at the top. But I notice that Internet / Local network access is slower than it should be so I turn off my WiFi. Then all my ongoing connections (Safari, FTP clients, Finder transfers in local network etc.) are put to pause and closed down, so evidently all of them were using the WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back