Graphics
Radeon 5600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am currently running the Custom Mac Pro build stable and I'm looking for some advice on getting the HDMI ports working on my Gigabyte 5770. To start with I'm not too worried about getting audio working, just want dual video.

At the moment trying to boot with HDMI gets me no further than Chameleon, just goes to a black screen as it trys to load SL.

What I've Tried So Far

I've done a bit of reading around this subject and some people are claiming success through using Kabyl's bootloader and changing the framebuffer.

I've installed the experimental bootloader through multibeast (don't know if I was meant to remove anything first?) and reloaded. Once again I got the black screen whilst trying to boot into SL. I've had a look at changing frame buffers. Can anyone recommend any particular framebuffer that has worked for them? Just need a starting point really...

If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated! I wouldn't have gotten this far without the support of this brilliant community, keep up the good work!

Re: Dual HDMI Boot - Gigabyte 5770

I don't know about dual HDMI booting, as my 5770 only has 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xDisplay Port. But booting from 1 HDMI and 1 DVI works fine, and "display detection" works fine as well, so i can unplug and replug the inputs and OSX just changes around the primary display fine. I followed the method shown here - http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4603 to the letter, and it worked great. No need to delete the original bootloader, but be sure to delete any nvidia kexts you had (if you ever did...), change the graphicsenabler option in multibeast, and do the framebuffer change.

Mine was a clean install though, so YMMV...

Re: HDMI Port - Gigabyte 5770

:oops: I feel like a bit of a retard, I hadn't noticed I had a display port on there, I thought it was a second HDMI.

Lol so yeah I've got the same card as you.

I tried going back to basics like you said and reinstalling just the basic graphics kexts through MultiBeast and still the same problem. As I boot up with one monitor in HDMI it gets to the white apple logo then goes to a black screen. I can't work it out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorted!

It was ridiculously simple!

Just installed the Uakari framebuffer kext through MultiBeast. Now i have a fully functional HDMI port at last.
:D

Gambol said:
Sorted!

Just installed the Uakari framebuffer kext through MultiBeast. Now i have a fully functional HDMI port at last.

Good stuff man :) Glad that it worked out ok for you!

do you get sound through hdmi?

I haven't tried yet, run my audio through external speakers.

From what I've read, audio over HDMI can be very difficult to achieve, some people are claiming they've found a way to do it. Think it might be more hassle than it's worth.

But you are runing mac os x 64bit?

Gambol said:
Sorted!

Have you thought about using the Kabyl boot file? I've just showed someone how to install it when they were using ATI_Init before. Have a look over here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10524

If you want to use Uakari framebuffer then install the Kabyl boot then at Chameleon screen, press a key to stop the count down then type:
Code:
AtiConfig=Uakari

And see if that works for you? You can always use iBoot to get back into OSX if that fails. With the Kabyl boot you need GraphicsEnabler=Yes so you get full QE/CI and you have the option of 32 bit or 64 bit OSX.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the direction of that guide notshy, I've been looking at some of your posts regarding 64bit with this card and I've been contemplating having a go at getting it working. Installed Kabyl's bootloader and had a play around and yeah got 64bit now :)

One thing that's strange though, using Baboon framebuffer, if I go into System Profiler and under PCI cards, it doesn't show my graphics card. Probably just a cosmetic quirk but interesting none the less.

Me and you have a very similar build, you got anything left you're working towards enabling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back