HDMI / DVI Black Border Fix (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.9.4
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Graphics
ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB ( Non Ti )
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have found a solution for myself finally. Luckily my GTX 660 has 1920x1080 already so I don't have to edit VBIOS. The problem was the black border still appears around my monitor during boot. It means I have native resolution but under scanned. After Google research I found that my motherboard bios was set to stretched mode, to switch to centred mode, you will have to go to level 2 of solution of the following page: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/121519-nvidia-how-get-rid-black-border.html

As the original post mentioned in level 2 ( don't hurt me ), you need to download author's boot0 file.
The idea of this solution is just to call bios function which will switch video card from stretched to Centered mode:
Code:
mov ax,4F14h ;VESA VBE OEM function
    mov bl,2     ;Subfunction 02 = Set Panel Expansion/Centering
    mov bh,1     ;00 = Return Current Setting, 01 = Set Centering/Expansion
    mov cx,0001h ;Exp. mode: 00 = Scaled, 01 = Centered 1:1, 02 = Left Corner 1:1
    int 10h      ;call VGA/VBE service
After getting boot0 from the download link in the post, you will have to launch Terminal.app to install the file to system.Type sudo -s and then your password. In my case, I use "fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0" ( Click here for more information ) instead of using the author's "sudo dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=440 count=1" ( Click here for more information ).
I have no idea how to do with antonio765's ( the author of TonyMacx86's link ) method (The command "sudo dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=440 count=1" gave me permission denied ) but his boot0 file has fixed my black border problem. Thanks to him anyway :)

If you have followed the steps of antonio765's post, then you should have full screen bootloader without black border like my video: http://youtu.be/1uz-RzxMUyA

Check out my new video to solve the black border problem:
http://youtu.be/kAZDoZlGBt4?t=3m57s

PS1: If you use this command sudo dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=440 count=1 and received "permission denied", then try this one fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

PS2: I have experienced black border would appear again if you change bootloader themes. To solve this issue, just install the boot0 to your drive again after applying new theme.

PS3: HDMI works with this solution or antonio765's solution, I'm using it until now. Let me know if this works for DVI.

Some of my photos: ( See attachments )

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 304
hello guys ... I have a evga gtx 670 4GB with black border at boot. I did not understand what I do, I have already installed mavericks ... I downloaded the file boot0 and the terminal I typed fdisk-f boot0-u-y / dev/rdisk0 but it gives me permission denied ... am I wrong or proceeding and right ?

hello guys ... I have a evga gtx 670 4GB with black border at boot. I did not understand what I do, I have already installed mavericks ... I downloaded the file boot0 and the terminal I typed fdisk-f boot0-u-y / dev/rdisk0 but it gives me permission denied ... am I wrong or proceeding and right ?

Before typing the installation command, you have to type sudo -s, and then your password.
Make sure you have 1920x1080x32 in your VBIOS ( Your graphics card ). Otherwise, you need to add them. ( I only know how to edit AMD cards' VBIOS. Not sure about NVIDIA. )

You can check the resolution table by typing ?video in the boot loader to see which resolutions are supported by your card. Press down arrow key to scroll down.

thanks for the reply: I checked the resolution of the video card, 1920x1080x32 supported ... now what do I do?fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 "REPLY" "fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory"

thanks for the reply: I checked the resolution of the video card, 1920x1080x32 supported ... now what do I do?

1) Now launch Terminal.app, type sudo -s and enter your password
2) After that type cd and press spacebar on your keyboard.
3) Now drag and drop the folder that has boot0 downloaded by you to Terminal.app. You should see a path appeared in the Terminal.app. Press return/ enter key on your keyboard.
4) now type fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 and press return/ enter key on your keyboard.
5) You are done! Now type exit and close the Terminal.app. Remember to add "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

thanks for the reply: I checked the resolution of the video card, 1920x1080x32 supported ... now what do I do?fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 "REPLY" "fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory"

Can you take a screenshot and put it here? thanks
Make sure you have followed my instruction correctly.

ok....
1) launch Terminal.app, type sudo -s and enter my password (0k)
2) type cd and press spacebar on your keyboard.(ok)
3) Now drag and drop the folder that has boot0 downloaded to Terminal.app (ok)
see a path appeared in the Terminal.app. Press return/ enter key on keyboard. (bash: cd: /Users/Vincenzo/Desktop/boot0: Not a directory)
4) type fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory)
???????????

Attachments

• Schermata 2014-04-29 alle 19.00.13.jpg
    Schermata 2014-04-29 alle 19.00.13.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 178
Sorry my friend, it's 1AM here, I have to sleep now. I am still going to help you after I wake up. Just try agin my steps agin for couple times, it should be fine.

ok ... you look ... good night ;)

ok....
1) launch Terminal.app, type sudo -s and enter my password (0k)
2) type cd and press spacebar on your keyboard.(ok)
3) Now drag and drop the folder that has boot0 downloaded to Terminal.app (ok)
see a path appeared in the Terminal.app. Press return/ enter key on keyboard. (bash: cd: /Users/Vincenzo/Desktop/boot0: Not a directory)
4) type fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory)
???????????

Try typing this in the Terminal.app: /Users/Vincenzo/Desktop/
( No need to type boot0 in the path )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back