GT 330M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi! I'm building my first cutsomac.
My main question is SSDs and HDDs, any brands I should stay away from?
I want 2x 120GB SSD, one for Mountain Lion and one for Windows 7.
Or 1x 240~ partitioned into 2, depending on the price. Do the cheaper SSDs work well?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

The rest of my build is similar too the CustoMac buyers guide, so should be okay, but here is a list anyway:

Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H
Processor: Intel core i7 3770k
Graphics card: EVGA GF GTX 660 ti 2GB SC
Memory: Corsair Vengenace 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3

SSD: ??? 2x 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair GS 800
Wifi: TP Link 450Mbps
Optical drive: Sony
CPU cooler: Corsair CWCH60 water cooler

Tower: Corsair 600T white
Monitor: 1~2 Dell Ultrasharp 23"

Thanks,
jsundt

Hi! I'm building my first cutsomac.
My main question is SSDs and HDDs, any brands I should stay away from?
I want 2x 120GB SSD, one for Mountain Lion and one for Windows 7.
Or 1x 240~ partitioned into 2, depending on the price. Do the cheaper SSDs work well?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

The rest of my build is similar too the CustoMac buyers guide, so should be okay, but here is a list anyway:

Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H
Processor: Intel core i7 3770k
Graphics card: EVGA GF GTX 660 ti 2GB SC
Memory: Corsair Vengenace 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3

SSD: ??? 2x 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair GS 800
Wifi: TP Link 450Mbps
Optical drive: Sony
CPU cooler: Corsair CWCH60 water cooler

Tower: Corsair 600T white
Monitor: 1~2 Dell Ultrasharp 23"

Thanks,
jsundt

I've only heard great things about the SanDisk Extreme 120gb... It's fast, and apparently reliable. I bought one, and I'm about to start using it in the next day or two.

From my research, which is far from scientific, the three most reliable brands are Intel, Intel, and Crucial. I have an Intel 320 in my MacBook.

I missed out on Newegg's Labor Day sale and rebate for the Intel 520. I settled for the Sandisk Extreme, which was on sale last week. Then I kicked myself when the Crucial m4 went on sale a few days later. I take comfort in knowing that the Sandisk is recommended by this site, and is a StorageReview.com editor's choice.

The Sandisk I got did not come with any extras. To mount it in my old Antec case, I used the bracket that came with the Intel 320. It doesn't fit quite right, so I still have some work to do.

Thanks!
I did look at the intel 520's but they are a bit expensive, so i'll probably look into SanDisk, Curcial and Corsair then.

I will most likley go down to a GS700 psu, and maybe remove the optical drive. I don't really use dvds anymore anyway, and I can always put it in later. Unless there are any good reasons to keep the optical drive..

Thanks!
I did look at the intel 520's but they are a bit expensive, so i'll probably look into SanDisk, Curcial and Corsair then.
I have two Samsung 830 SSDs and a Crucial M4 mSata (all 256 GB)
One 830 is in my MacMini, the other is my Hackintosh SSD, whereas the Crucial M4 is directly plugged into the mSata Port of my GA-Z77 UP5 TH mainboard. All work flawlessly.
The main reason were good reviews combined with good reputations and cheap GB/€ ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back