Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed the ATI Experimental bootloader and everything works fine on my monitor through DVI, but my TV with HDMI is getting no picture. There is a picture right through the boot screen with the apple logo, and as soon as the other monitor goes to the desktop, the TV goes blank and flashes "Invalid Format". There is no second display listed in System Preferences. Any ideas?

Also I noticed that when the TV is connected, I do not have a transparent menu bar and Expose does not work at all. The system becomes somewhat unstable as well, with Safari crashing repeatedly. This happens on my main install and on another fresh installation.

Many of us would like to help you, but that is impossible without some knowledge of your hardware. Please put your hardware specs in your signature accessed from your profile control panel.

Include model and make of your monitor/TV and video card.

Sorry, I'm not new to these kinds of forums either, it was just an oversight. Here is my hardware:

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard
Gigabyte HD5770 Graphics Card

The TV is an older 720p LG 42PC3D Plasma with a native resolution of 1024x768. My Monitor is an Asus VW246H.

Make sure you have these lines in your /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist
Code:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Have you tried connecting your TV using the second video card DVI port with a DVI/HDMI cable?

No, I don't have one at hand to test, but I could pick one up today. This wouldn't be a perfect solution for me because it wouldn't allow audio over HDMI. I plan to use this with Front Row.

photoADK said:
No, I don't have one at hand to test, but I could pick one up today. This wouldn't be a perfect solution for me because it wouldn't allow audio over HDMI. I plan to use this with Front Row.

You may have no choice. The issue I am certain is HDCP handshaking once again. Search these forums and you will find many folks who cannot use HDMI/HDMI cables to TV monitors. Unfortunately as you have stated that's the only input your TV has. I have two Samsung T260HD TV monitors, but they have multiple input connections. I have to use the DVI outputs from the 9800GT cards to the monitor DVI inputs in both my Hackintoshes. I can also use a DVI/HDMI cable, but only if my other dual display for that computer is connected DVI/DVI. I cannot use a HDMI/HDMI cable in any case. Results vary depending on the exact video card and monitor synergy. You did not state your exact video card (Gigabyte has three different versions of the 5770), but I can assume you have the GV-R577UD-1GD (Batmobile) or the GV-R577SO-1GD (overclocked).

Be aware that all dual slot 5770 cards have this configuration: one independent DisplayPort, one independent DVI port, one shared HDMI and DVI port. You cannot use these last two together. See here:
Radeon 5xxx.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_(GPU_family)

So try your other DVI port with your Asus VW246H monitor while your 720p LG 42PC3D Plasma is connected to the HDMI port. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Otherwise you will need to be patient and see if the next upgrade in Mac OS X improves the situation for you. No one that I know has yet solved this problem perfectly. When you do, let us know.

Attachments

• Radeon 5xxx.png
    Radeon 5xxx.png
    10 KB · Views: 260
From ATI Radeon HD 5750/5770 User Guide, page 9
© 2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Multi-Display Support

Your ATI Radeon HD 5750/5770 graphics card provides multi-display functionality through its various display connections. The graphics card can output to a maximum of three displays using the following set of connections:

• Two DVI-I Dual Link connections and one DisplayPort connection. • One DVI-I Dual Link connection, one HDMI connection, and one DisplayPort connection.

• OneDVI-IDualLinkconnection,oneVGAconnection(viaaDVI-IDualLink connection and DVI-to-VGA adapter), and one DisplayPort connection.

• One VGA connection (via a DVI-I Dual Link connection and DVI-to-VGA adapter), one HDMI connection, and one DisplayPort connection.

For a list of all possible display configuration combinations, visit http:// http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... 000/Pages/ displayport-support.aspx.

Note: link above from AMD is now defunct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back