Contribute
Register

HD4000 back to brightest after reboot, no hotkey brightness control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just opened your DSDT and applied the patch. It replaced yours. What you did looks fine, but there is nothing wrong with the patch in the repo.

Sorry for asking you spending time verifying the patch. It must be my mistake when using the patch.

If you run blinkscreen it will. Have you tried it?
Yes I tried blinkscreen. (in ProBook Installer 6.1.10) It didn't do the job. NVRAM still seemed not working on storing brightness settings (I had rebooted twice)

I had even tried EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, which is supposed to solve some very rare case that Clover need this driver to get access to NVRAM. Still no luck. Any other thoughts?

Sorry for asking you spending time verifying the patch. It must be my mistake when using the patch.

No worries...

Yes I tried blinkscreen. (in ProBook Installer 6.1.10) It didn't do the job. NVRAM still seemed not working on storing brightness settings (I had rebooted twice)

I had even tried EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, which is supposed to solve some very rare case that Clover need this driver to get access to NVRAM. Still no luck. Any other thoughts?

Check nvram to see if brightness level is being stored in nvram when changing it (use "nvram -p" in Terminal). And then check the value before and after reboot.

Check nvram to see if brightness level is being stored in nvram when changing it (use "nvram -p" in Terminal). And then check the value before and after reboot.

I tried to read the nvram before and after changing backlight.

I found after reboot, the variable "backlight-level" is cleared every time (doesn't exist after boot)
When I change backlight, this variable appeared, and can be changed when I change the backlight.
here is what my nvram looks like after I change the backlight once.
Code:
Shaozhens-MacBook-Pro:~ shaozhensong$ nvram -p
bluetoothActiveControllerInfo         V%e0%89%04%00%00%00%00%16%1d%9c*p1j%ee
backlight-level     %c6%02
Clover.LogLineCount   3000
EmuVariableUefiPresent        Yes
security-mode      none
prev-lang:kbd      en:0
Clover.MountEFI Yes
Clover.LogEveryBoot   10

I tried to read the nvram before and after changing backlight.

I found after reboot, the variable "backlight-level" is cleared every time (doesn't exist after boot)
When I change backlight, this variable appeared, and can be changed when I change the backlight.
here is what my nvram looks like after I change the backlight once.
Code:
Shaozhens-MacBook-Pro:~ shaozhensong$ nvram -p
bluetoothActiveControllerInfo         V%e0%89%04%00%00%00%00%16%1d%9c*p1j%ee
backlight-level     %c6%02
Clover.LogLineCount   3000
EmuVariableUefiPresent        Yes
security-mode      none
prev-lang:kbd      en:0
Clover.MountEFI Yes
Clover.LogEveryBoot   10

Then your nvram is not working correctly. Did you install the Clover scripts that perform nvram load/save when you installed Clover?

Is the nvram supposed to be saved on a harddrive?
It might be that I didn't specify a correct saving location for the nvram? The harddrive configuration is really messed up on my laptop: it has two SSDs on one chip, I disabled the RAID0 configuration and used separate harddrives for windows and mac.... So there are currently two EFI partitions: one for windows, on disk0, one for mac, on disk1.....

Then your nvram is not working correctly. Did you install the Clover scripts that perform nvram load/save when you installed Clover?
Ahh.... no... I didn't even notice that I need to install that scripts.. I copied the EFI folder from my another hachkintosh..
I will try that soon.

Is the nvram supposed to be saved on a harddrive?
It might be that I didn't specify a correct saving location for the nvram? The harddrive configuration is really messed up on my laptop: it has two SSDs on one chip, I disabled the RAID0 configuration and used separate harddrives for windows and mac.... So there are currently two EFI partitions: one for windows, on disk0, one for mac, on disk1.....

There is the options "Install RC scripts on target volume"/"Install all RC scripts on all other bootable OSX volumes" that must be selected if you want nvram to work. I haven't looked in detail where these scripts go and what they do, but I would imagine they work by transferring in-memory nvram data to disk, since on a PC you can't actually store anything in real nvram (nvram is reserved for BIOS).

OK! it worked!:thumbup: thank you again!

Please allow me to ask... is the "blinkscreen" still necessary? How can I un-install it? I just feel not quite like the dark-blink on start..

There is the options "Install RC scripts on target volume"/"Install all RC scripts on all other bootable OSX volumes" that must be selected if you want nvram to work. I haven't looked in detail where these scripts go and what they do, but I would imagine they work by transferring in-memory nvram data to disk, since on a PC you can't actually store anything in real nvram (nvram is reserved for BIOS).

Oh thanks for your useful and detailed explainations.. I just figured out before you post this.. THANKS!

For the blinkscreen , can I just remove "org.rehabman.blinkscreen.plist" and "blinkscreen(in usr\bin\)" and try?

UPDATE:

I removed "blinkscreen"....
Finding that without blinkscreen, the brightness dosen't work properly BEFORE a sleep cycle: cannot reach maximum brightness... but still adjustble between ~40% to ~75%.. after a sleep cycle it's 40% to 100%...

Will explore more tomorrow... have to sleep. Many thanks RehabMan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back