Intel GMA 350
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been looking to build a hackintosh for a while. I am moderate user of Photoshop and occasional user of Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for video editing.

I'm wondering how powerful is the intel HD3000 when compared to a discrete graphics card. Would there be a noticeable difference or has the CPU power of Sandy Bridge closed the gap since the days of the Core 2 Duo?

Ideally, I would be looking at the CustoMac Mini, recommended by Tony, switching out the CPU to the i5 processer. Thanks for the help.

pleasedrivefast said:
I've been looking to build a hackintosh for a while. I am moderate user of Photoshop and occasional user of Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects for video editing.

I'm wondering how powerful is the intel HD3000 when compared to a discrete graphics card. Would there be a noticeable difference or has the CPU power of Sandy Bridge closed the gap since the days of the Core 2 Duo?

Ideally, I would be looking at the CustoMac Mini, recommended by Tony, switching out the CPU to the i5 processer. Thanks for the help.

If you are doing Photo / Video editing, you will want a discreet card. Photoshop uses OpenGL 2.1 when available, and the difference is night and day between discreet and HD3000.

~~Grave

pleasedrivefast said:

The HD3000 is like a GT240 in performance, but I think too you will need a graphics card.

Mate, i'm just looking for reference point to back up performance claims. Toms hardware video chart shows a gt240 to be about 8 levels better than hd3000. Is this gaming only? Is there a different comparison that should be used? Just trying to clear up a question that is asked a lot. thanks

goober296 said:
Mate, i'm just looking for reference point to back up performance claims. Toms hardware video chart shows a gt240 to be about 8 levels better than hd3000. Is this gaming only? Is there a different comparison that should be used? Just trying to clear up a question that is asked a lot. thanks
Maybe I missed something, but I saw two Cinebench scores with the GT240 and HD3000 (on OSX) and they got equal scores.

goober296 said:
And you could be right. it's probably not fair to compare something on a windows machine vs an osx machine.
That's how it goes. ;)

Try with HD3000 and if it isn't powerful enough just add a discrete radeon 68xx or nvidia 5xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back