Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
  3. Lisa
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
UPDATED -- Looking for help with HD3000 graphics with Sierra and ElCapitan on a Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H TH board.
Also wanted to contribute some of Successes Ive had with a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH board on newer production system!
Thank you Tony Mac!! You are the MAN!

I have built a few hackintosh's over the last couple of years. Im an aging past hardcore pc builder. Started building 486's in the early 90s and I've built hundreds since!
Building an OSX machine is not too different and very intriguing!

I recently found my 2-year old Yosemite production computer needed to be replaced after upgrades to El Capitan atempts went repeatedly sour. I also wanted a newer main rig and utilize UEFI with cover...but I'm busy and this old rig is a primary work machine. I am a Publishing professional, manager and director. Print and video. This machine is a work-horse for video editing and image/file manipulation. I run a few Office apps, a few Adobe CC apps and a few web browsers, usually All at the same time, day in and day out! 24/7 with remote access.

I just finished building This replacement machine.
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
i7 6700K 4.00 GHz (Unlocked) Skylake
(4) 8 GB quad set of G.Skills TridentZ (32GB) DDR4 3200
Samsung 850 pro SSD
GTX 650 Ti extreme (running 3 monitors)
Sierra, Multibeast 9
Everything is working! USB3s are Very Fast and they all work including all the onboard headers. I use lots of USB Devices.
Audio isn't as clean as I had hoped for but its quality is very good. I use a pair of KRK V8-2s as monitors and a Powered Sub.
I need to add a BluTooth device, not a priority.

The install and build went quickly and flawlessly. Very easy. Originally Installed El Capitan then "upgraded" to Sierra online, was fast and easy. I Did have to run Multibeast 9 to get Audio back but that was it.
iMessage worked for like 20 min then stopped :( I later spent time with it, followed a few Guides (Thanks Guys!!) but its still not working. Think i can bring it into to a Genius Bar? ;-)

The older system (i7 Sandy, Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H) that this replaced was running Yosemite legacy Multibeast. USB3 that never worked, sometimes at slower speed. Audio hardly worked and was horribly noise for any professional work. I used a USB Audio Device. Getting a GTX 650 Ti was tricky at the time and overall the system was OK, 24/7 status and that was the achilles heel. If you shut it down abruptly or just looked at it wrong it would Not reboot without BIOS intervention. Didn't matter how you left it, things were always changing. Lost it a few times after power outages (in an Industrial Park) and the BIOS would get corrupted. Very finicky machine but it was a powerful work machine!!
After removing the GTX 650 recently, I've been unable to recover the OS. Even after replacing the video card. Even tried a reinstall of the OS and nothing! I gave up, wasn't important to recover it, nothing was lost.

So now i took that system minus the GTX650 and installed Sierra with Multibeast 9.0. Id like it as another production machine.
Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge)
(2) 8GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory
Samsung 850evo SSD (only new part)

I actually installed Sierra and El Capitan over and over again, like 30 times!! - beat the snot out of this machine - learning and playing. Using clover and UEFI partitions.
I have Sierra running Great, sort of. Especially for this board which as described above, has always been a problem!
The USB3's are fast and they All work! Fast!! NIC, all work.
Even the 5.1 Audio ports work and are properly routed and quieter but still a bit noisy.

System recognizes as a iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) 14,2 3.39 i7, Intel HD 3000 BUT with 3MB (?!) and is limited to 1024x768 resolution!! This is the only real problem and its frustrating because at times Ive HAD it working correctly, recognizes as Intel HD 3000 with 512MB - So, WTF?! The proper Res Wont stick and with recent installs it won't see the HD 3000 video at any resolution over 1024 x 768.
IF I use Multibeast with either El Capitan or Sierra to inject HD3000 Graphic compatibility the system will NEVER load again! It try's to load but gets stuck at the black screen with white Apple logo and status bar. Ive let it sit MANY hours, its a no go!
I can re-install in 30 minutes and be back to where I was at 1024 x 768 or format and install in 10 min! As unstable as this board has been in the past the HD3000 graphics were NEVER a problem, they even worked alongside the GTX650.
But now Everything Else works fine wit the board but the Graphics don't?!? Very Odd.

So I now have a Gigabyte GT 740GB DDR5. Im expecting this card to recognize natively. It supports enough monitors.

Last edited:
UPDATED -- Looking for help with HD3000 graphics with Sierra and ElCapitan on a Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H TH board.
I can re-install in 30 minutes and be back to where I was at 1024 x 768 or format and install in 10 min! As unstable as this board has been in the past the HD3000 graphics were NEVER a problem, they even worked alongside the GTX650.
But now Everything Else works fine wit the board but the Graphics don't?!? Very Odd.

I'm trying to help a friend update his hackintosh that I built for him a few years ago to Sierra. I can't even get to the installer with HD 3000. Is there a trick to that? It's a Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI with an i3-2105 processor; I'm thinking the problem might be the mixed Ivy/Sandy Bridge configuration, but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to help a friend update his hackintosh that I built for him a few years ago to Sierra. I can't even get to the installer with HD 3000. Is there a trick to that? It's a Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI with an i3-2105 processor; I'm thinking the problem might be the mixed Ivy/Sandy Bridge configuration, but I'm not sure.
Have any luck with High Sierra? I tried upgrading to High Sierra (most recent build) and it hangs early during install. Ive not spent to much time with it...

Update: Success with Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
High Sierra 10.13.6
Clover 2.4 rev 4522
Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge)
(2) 8GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory
Samsung 850evo SSD
GeForce GT740 2GB
4TB WD Green sata
2TB WD Green sata
1TB Samsung 5400 sata

what a bitch it was!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.23.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.23.39 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.17.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.17.19 PM.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.41.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.41.52 PM.png
    766 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Why wont clover now choose the correct boot drive? It defaults to one of the NTFS formatted storage drives.
Ive never had this problem....

Defaults like that are driven from settings in config.plist/GUI and (depending on Clover settings) SysPrefs->Startup Disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back