Contribute
Register

HD 630 - Monitor goes to sleep at login screen after update to Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming
CPU
i9 10850K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a small, relatively portable second Hackintosh with a USB powered 1080p monitor connected via HDMI.

Specs of this machine are below as specs in my profile are for my main workstation.

Specs:

Catalina 10.15.4
Gigabyte Z270-WIFI
Kaby Lake i7 7700k
Intel HD 630 Graphics
32GB 2133Mhz RAM

SMBIOS is iMac 18,1
Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.17.10.png

Before upgrading from Mojave to Catalina I made sure that i had the latest versions of Whatevergreen and Lilu.

I use VirtualSMC. All my kext are in L/E

Everything works as it did before the software update, with the exception that when my machine gets to the login screen I see the login screen for perhaps a second before the monitor goes to sleep.

Keystrokes / mouse clicks do nothing. The only way to make it wake up is to unplug / replug my HDMI cable. Sometimes it takes a number of attempts, but eventually the monitor always wakes up.

Because I have the latest WGreen and Lilu i have nothing added in the graphics area of my config.plist (I have tried inject Intel / platform ID / InteGFX / Patch change GFX0 to IGPU with no effect)

I'm all out of ideas. Has anyone experienced this problem and resolved it?
Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.48.03.png
Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.48.45.png

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.28.20.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.48.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 17.48.03.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 90
I tried switching to SMBIOS 18,3 - although this stopped the monitor from going to sleep at login, the colours are wrong and the screen doesn't refresh. As it's a 7700k, 18,3 *should* be correct but performance is worse.

I tried a bunch of things to fix this exact problem and finally this was the one thing that worked. I still have issues with my DVI monitor, but this solved the HDMI issue. Hopefully it works for you, too!

1. Go into IOReg and type iGPU in the search bar
  2. Click on the part that says IGPU on the left (for me it says IGPU@2), then clear IGPU from the search bar
  3. Look in that section on the left for where it says Apple Display. Note the number after AppleIntelFramebuffer (for me it is AppleIntelFramebuffer@1
  4. Click on your relevant AppleIntelFramebuffer and on the right, look for where it says "Connector Type." That refers to how your computer thinks the monitor is connected. The codes represent different types (listed below). For me, it showed that my monitor was connected by Display Port, even though it should have been HDMI.
  5. Go into Clover Configurator, mount your EFI, backup your config file just in case, then open your config file, then navigate to Devices/Properties
  6. You'll need to add the following two properties to the list (replace the "X" value with the Framebufffer number from step 3.
    1. Properties Key: framebuffer-conX-enable; Properties Value: 01000000; Value Type: DATA
    2. Properties Key: framebuffer-conX-type; Properties Value: 00080000; Value Type: DATA
      1. This properties value refers to an HDMI connection. It is different for other types of connections. Replace that value with the following for other types of connections:
        1. <00 04 00 00> - DisplayPort
        2. <00 08 00 00> - HDMI
        3. <04 00 00 00> - DVI
        4. <02 00 00 00> - LVDS (for laptops)
        5. <01 00 00 00> - Dummy port
  7. Save your config file, then restart.

After SO many attempts, this finally sorted it out. Hopefully it will for you too.

Thanks for coming in on this. Unfortunately I've checked the registry and the connector type is already set at 00 08 00 00 which is HDMI. (Screenshot below).

Total head-scratcher, was never an issue on Mojave, now does it every time with Catalina.

I have found a workaround - I don't need to unplug / replug, if I simply switch the monitor off then on again, it always wakes up the monitor.

It looks to me like its default *is* the HDMI output - I get a quick flash of the login screen - but after maybe a second it goes black. I think it's sensing (thinking) that an alternative output has a monitor connected* to it so it switches. Then when I put the monitor off then on again it senses that the HDMI is active and switches back.

*to avoid ambiguity I have nothing connected to the DVI, or the second HDMI. Also if I try with the other HDMI connection performance is no different.

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 21.43.16.png

Damn, I was really hoping that would help. Mine also did the flash on thing, but switching the registry helped. I'm not entirely sure what they do because I didn't personally add them, but maybe try the other things I have in my Properties group? Also, do you have Inject Intel enabled?

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 2.16.32 PM.png

Thanks, I found what was probably the guide for your registry & property changes changes online. The ig-platform-id, framebuffer-patch-enable and framebuffer-stolenmem values are for Coffee Lake (you have the 8700k) and I think I need to use different ones for the Kaby Lake processor which is in this machine. I'll look further into it and give it a try.

I haven't selected inject intel, but I did try it selected with no difference. My understanding is that you don't need it with Whatevergreen, also I've read separately that "When Clover detects an Intel iGPU, it automatically enables Intel Injection if the Graphics section doesn't exist in the config.plist"

No success.

Ah, got it. Really sorry that it hasn't worked out for you yet. We're both in a similar boat where it's pretty inconvenient that our problems haven't been solved, but at least the computer boots, works, etc.

Yes, I think if it was my main rig I’d do a fresh install but as it’s a secondary computer (useful in this time of lockdown when all the family at home) I can live with it.

If I ever get to the bottom of the issue I’ll share here. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back