Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, so I have been working on a hackintosh solution for my Dell E5420 (i7-2620m, HD 3000 video, device ID 0x126, or the HD3000+). I was getting the constant 'main ring' hangs some people have been getting, only much worse, glitching graphics, that kind of thing. I could use QE/CI to some degree, but watching youtube videos or quicktime would fail entirely, due to main ring crashes in the kernel log. I am running 10.7.2

This is bizarre, but I replaced the LCD panel in my laptop with a similar, but different model, and my problems COMPLETELY disappeared. Everything works. There is not even graphic glitching - and I have 8GB of RAM and 512MB of VRAM assigned. I am playing 3D games and watching youtube videos like a champ. No artifacts to speak of, when before my system was almost unusable due to graphic hangs.

I do not know how this makes any sense, but the main ring hangs (or at least one cause of them) must be due to the specific laptop LCD itself. Perhaps certain EDIDs give OS X trouble? Or something? I don't even know enough about that kind of thing to really diagnose it, or even what is different about the panel. It is glossy, but the identical resolution (1600x900).

After a quick look in ioregistry explorer, the main thing I noticed is 'Gen575Accelerator' was being loaded when previously it was not. There is also additional 'Gen6Accelerator' contexts. Uh...what?

Hey folks,

I can confirm that replacing the display solved all my artefacts/freeze problems. Thanks metacollin for your inspiration!

I am using an ACER TRAVELMATE 7750, i3 2310M, HD3000 0x0116, 4GB, 10.7.4, macbook pro 8.3, graphics enabler = no, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip

Display before:
17,3" 1600x900 matt
AUO129E infos here: AUO129E.rtf
--> QE/QI working BUT: many artifacts occuring after a few minutes or immediately after using dock. Mission control hangs badly. System freezes sometimes.
After adding EDID info to display overrides DisplayVendorID-6af.zip artifacts kept away for a longer time but came back especially when notebook was hardly working. NOTE: don't use this override, better make your own see here: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53970
BUT: stil artifacts, no mission control and system freezes.

New display:
17,3" 1920x1080 matt
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LP173WF1-TL-D1-1 ... 809wt_1398
LP173WF1 (TL)(D1)
--> all problems solved with just another display: no EDID override needed, no artifacts for one week now, no freezes, mission control works, and full-hd - i love my new macbook pro with 17 inch :p

Attachments

• AUO129E.rtf
    52.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DisplayVendorID-6af.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 72
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip
    428.1 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back