i7-9770K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looking for some help. Was running 10.13.1 and went to upgrade to 10.13.4. Missed the part about needing to update the APFS file first. Ran update from the App Store, machine rebooted and on apple logo, the task bar hung. Left it over night and woke up to a white screen with beachball. Now in clover boot menu I have the normal start from Mac HD, but also have a reboot which I don't remember from before, and have install Mac OS which is I assume the partition where the install is waiting to take place. I was able to find the EFI backups folder but applying the change there won't do me any good

Problem occurs when I go to apply the new apfs file. I'm not able to find the EFI partition in the Volumes folder which was hidden to begin with. Before I do anything I'll regret I wanted to ask what to do here.

I'm not able to find the EFI partition in the Volumes folder which was hidden to begin with. Before I do anything I'll regret I wanted to ask what to do here.
Before you can 'find' the EFI partition it must first be mounted.
There are many ways to do this such as an with app like EFI Mounter.

I tried that before and couldn’t get the right partition to open. It wasn’t part of the list. I did a reboot and now it’s there. Just copied the new file in and am trying to update the OS. Currently on the Apple logo with bar. Just finished that task and brought me to same white screen

Last edited:
Ok so at this point in clover menu I have boot FileVault prebooter from preboot, boot Mac OS install prebooter from preboot, boot macOS install from Mac HD, boot macOS from Mac HD, and recovery. I think at this point it’s not worth it to update the OS and spend hours and hours for a minor update. My question is how to I remove those partitions from showing up in the clover menu? Maybe those are causing the issue?

Here’s what I see upon bootup before the clover screen

Attachments

• 081D6CFE-C6EC-4E45-8BA8-75A1CD01CB99.png
    081D6CFE-C6EC-4E45-8BA8-75A1CD01CB99.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
So I've gone ahead and found out how to delete that install OS X in clover and almost deleted the IAboot files. emptied trash and tried to reinstall 10.13.4. When I try from the update site on this site I get the error Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 update can't be installed on this disk. This volume doesn't meet the requirements for this update. I'm currently on 10.13.1

I then tried downloading the combo update. That allowed me to install but again on first reboot, taskbar moves slowly and then after 10 mins goes to the white screen. I’m using internal hd4000 graphics card.

Last edited:
I think at this point it’s not worth it to update the OS and spend hours and hours for a minor update.

Assuming there is a enough storage capacity, I would just create a new partition using disk utility and do a fresh install of 10.13.4 to that new partition and then use migration assistant to transfer data from 10.13.1.

Assuming there is a enough storage capacity, I would just create a new partition using disk utility and do a fresh install of 10.13.4 to that new partition and then use migration assistant to transfer data from 10.13.1.

Interesting idea however it seems like a lot of work and risk being that I’ve never done that before. 6 months ago I had to do a fresh install and managed to salvage what I could. 2 weeks ago I got an external drive for time machine backups. I did that incase something went screwy with this update.

With creating a new partition, wouldn’t I have to load clover etc all over again? I remember I had some issues 6 months ago.

Interesting idea however it seems like a lot of work and risk being that I’ve never done that before. 6 months ago I had to do a fresh install and managed to salvage what I could. 2 weeks ago I got an external drive for time machine backups. I did that incase something went screwy with this update.

With creating a new partition, wouldn’t I have to load clover etc all over again? I remember I had some issues 6 months ago.

You can install OS X to another partition on same HDD.

One Clover bootloader installed in EFI partition will be enough to boot “N” number of OS X installed in one or multiple HDD/SSD/Partitions

You can install OS X to another partition on same HDD.

One Clover bootloader installed in EFI partition will be enough to boot “N” number of OS X installed in one or multiple HDD/SSD/Partitions

Rather than doing a fresh install in a new partition, can I just go back in time machine to the first creation which was 2 weeks ago and before the attempt of update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back