Contribute
Register

Having Problems Using the Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, please provide detailed info on how/when/where you got this kernel panic message otherwise I can't be much help :).
I'd assume you have perfectly working EI Capitan. I simply followed the Tony's Sierra unibeast method to upgrade from EI Capitan to Sierra. You simply skip the steps where the guide instructs user to format the drive for clean install.

Now I'm beginning to think that this KP is specific to ASUS mobo given multiple users who have used my method to solve this issue had ASUS Mobo. After you've succeeded in upgrading, you're likely going to get HD530 flickering issue as well unless you have GPU. So I'd say if this is critical, you might as well wait until HD530 issue is solved.
Maybe it's only related to skylake cpu running alone... I'm having your same flickering issue... Digging into the forum, specially on the sierra desktop support, it seems like most of the people with a 6600 and a 6700 are running sierra super smooth with a nvidia gpu.. I hope they will fix the problem, but i'm positive on that, new mac will be skylake for sure.

Maybe it's only related to skylake cpu running alone... I'm having your same flickering issue... Digging into the forum, specially on the sierra desktop support, it seems like most of the people with a 6600 and a 6700 are running sierra super smooth with a nvidia gpu.. I hope they will fix the problem, but i'm positive on that, new mac will be skylake for sure.

Hey Pearholland, please don't be confused by two separate issues mentioned in this thread. In short,

[1] This KP was SPECIFIC to error message when you try direct update to Sierra from EI Capitan, and how to address it to continue with updating to Sierra successfully, (main point of this thread)

[2] Post-installation of HD530 flickering issue is widely common. (not a main point of this thread but still relevant and I thought I should alert those who are trying to update)

When I said " this KP is specific to ASUS mobo", I'm only refering to [1] issue, where I've only seen *identical* kernel panic in verbose mode from you and AP2218 user where we all use ASUS Mobo and Skylake CPU. That leads me to thinking that if any user runs into same KP message, I'd say there is good chance that they may have ASUS Mobo. If you have seen any other user with other Mobo/cpu that had identical kernel panic, you can refer them here and perhaps I can edit the main post so that we can all help each other.

Now, you did note somewhere that you still run into some KP when you tried resolving [2] issue via multibeast HD530, but this issue is widely common and I agree, I believe it has more to do with any hacktintosh relying on only iGPU in Sierra. I'd be very interested in what exact KP you see when you run into this issue. I've seen many users don't run into KP when using HD530 multibeast patch during post-sierra update but still suffers flickering.

Now, you did note somewhere that you still run into some KP when you tried resolving [2] issue via multibeast HD530, but this issue is widely common and I agree, I believe it has more to do with any hacktintosh relying on only iGPU in Sierra. I'd be very interested in what exact KP you see when you run into this issue. I've seen many users don't run into KP when using HD530 multibeast patch during post-sierra update but still suffers flickering.
It seems that new multibeast 9.0.1 solve the hd 530 KP... jrii suggested me that...
I will try later when i'm home..
UPDATE 19:00

Installing HD530 driver with the new version of multibeast, gives me a KP again...
BTW, i changed the allocated memory from 32m to 64m, BOOM booted at 1 try, just the black glitch in the left corner. I don't know why this KP happening, on EL capitan, i never had to change that parameter... Video kext is now running smoothly, and the system recognise my Dell ups 2k monitor via Display Port....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back