Contribute
Register

Having issues with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on Haswell CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is booting now without any boot flags. Turning off / disabling the integrated graphics in bios completely did the trick. I'm using my GTX 760 now.

THANK YOU! Disabling the IGPU finally allowed my Hackintosh to boot up not in safe mode! And the GeForce 760 works perfectly too!

After spending lot of time trying everything on my Z87N-WIFI with i7 to make it work, it still works only in -x mode. Installed from 10.8.5, multibeast 5.5, chimera 2.2. I tried different bios options, boot parameters, even removed some kexts like the bluetooth and other but it didn't have any impact on the outcome.
I think the graphics is the problem because people here report they managed to get it to work with external cards.
Please help somebody with another suggestions, there are many people stuck with this.

I have also been struggling for the last couple of days to get OSX to boot (installing 10.8.5 with the Unibeast was not an issue), booting to safe mode was the only solution so far.

However I am pleased to report that I've done a clean install this morning with the new Multibeast 5.5 and everything is working fine.

My setup is as follows
GA-Z87-HD3
Core i5 4670k
HD4600 Graphics
16GB Ram
Dual monitors (although only 1 connected via DVI port for the install)

My bios is running F5 revision, I turned XHCI to Auto (from Smart Auto), and am using Profile 1 on the memory (to get 1600Mhz).

I did add the following to my org.chameleon.boot.plist as already described in this thread (although not sure if its necessary with the new Chimera (or whether GraphicsEnabler=Yes is no sufficient)

<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0c260000</string>
<key>IGPenabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Happy to look up any Bios settings if people want to validate their config.

I've since managed to get my old ATI 4890 working so have moved across to that.

dblackeby, what happens to your machine when you connect dual monitors to HD4600?

Since Multibeast 5.5 came out, I managed to get Z87MX-D3H booting happily with IGP. What I noticed is that if I have 2 monitors connected (HDMI and DVI), power management is messed up. The system doesn't cut power for sleep/restart/shutdown. If I only have 1 monitor connected, everything is fine. Another symptom with 2 monitors is that the one on DVI will come up at 1024x768 and has to be manually switched to 1650x1080. The HDMI one will always boot in optimal resolution for display (1650x1080).

If you don't mind messing about your video cards, I'd love to compare notes on dual vs single monitor on just the HD 4600.

My setup is:
Z87MX-D3H, Optimized Defaults, then disable vt-d, set memory to 16.00 multiplier.
i5-4570
16 GB Corsair RAM from the buying guide

idiiamots

I've plugged both monitors into the motherboard directly as requested (1st using DVI connector, the 2nd using the HDMI connector), both work fine, with the same resolution (they are however identical monitors).

Mmm having both connected also causes me issues on shutdown / restart (it kills the signal to the screens, but never removes the power from the machine).

Looking at what if anything I have set in the Bios is as follows (I took photos of the bios screenshots to hopefully provide some assistance) attached to this post.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Attachments

• Bios Settings.zip
    981.9 KB · Views: 211
This actually worked! Z87N-WIFI with intel Core i7 4770's HD4600.
The first time I got something wrong so I thought it doesn't work but now I have this:
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPenabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Works like a charm.
Probably a noob thing to forget setting but it works now for me. thanks.

I have also been struggling for the last couple of days to get OSX to boot (installing 10.8.5 with the Unibeast was not an issue), booting to safe mode was the only solution so far.

However I am pleased to report that I've done a clean install this morning with the new Multibeast 5.5 and everything is working fine.

My setup is as follows
GA-Z87-HD3
Core i5 4670k
HD4600 Graphics
16GB Ram
Dual monitors (although only 1 connected via DVI port for the install)

My bios is running F5 revision, I turned XHCI to Auto (from Smart Auto), and am using Profile 1 on the memory (to get 1600Mhz).

I did add the following to my org.chameleon.boot.plist as already described in this thread (although not sure if its necessary with the new Chimera (or whether GraphicsEnabler=Yes is no sufficient)

<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPenabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Happy to look up any Bios settings if people want to validate their config.

I've since managed to get my old ATI 4890 working so have moved across to that.

Mmm having both connected also causes me issues on shutdown / restart (it kills the signal to the screens, but never removes the power from the machine).

Thanks for confirming. My BIOS settings are similar to yours with three exceptions:
1. My system frequency mult on Auto is 13.33. I changed it to 16.00.
2. My vt-d is disabled.
3. My IGP memory is left default at 64MB. OS X reports it as 1024MB in System Info.

I'll try changing shared memory, doubt that does much. In one of the other threads someone had a theory that perhaps HD 4600 is different between CPUs somehow.

I have a Z87N-WIFI as well. I had no audio until I installed MultiBeast 5.5.
At this point, I have two annoying issues left:

1) I'm using the onboard video (
Intel HD 4600) with two monitors. Display sleep or system sleep (or really sleep of any kind) are unrecoverable. The system has to be hard-powercycled. I can't find a lot of information online about how to debug this, or whether others are experiencing the same thing. This is pretty maddening since it seems like my only option is to disable sleep of any kind.

2) every time I reboot, the monitor connected to HDMI comes up at a very low resolution. The one on DVI works fine, and I can 'fix' the one on HDMI by toggling the resolution to something else, then back to 1920x1200. This is minor .. just an annoyance.

I'm having the same problem with a i3 Haswell chip. I cannot get it to boot except in safe -x mode.

Following up to my own post, I bought an EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost today (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX650Ti-SuperClocked-Dual-Link-Graphics/dp/B00BZB0I3W), and it resolved my display issues I was having with the onboard video (HD 4600). Works well. Had to change my boot options to use GraphicsEnabler=no.

The only remaining issue I've noticed is that the system still won't come back from system sleep (it does come back from display sleep), but hopefully that'll be fixed soon. I found this thread, which is interesting:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/109352-nvidia-updates-web-drivers-10-8-5-313-01-03f01.html

I have a Z87N-WIFI as well. I had no audio until I installed MultiBeast 5.5.
At this point, I have two annoying issues left:

1) I'm using the onboard video (
Intel HD 4600) with two monitors. Display sleep or system sleep (or really sleep of any kind) are unrecoverable. The system has to be hard-powercycled. I can't find a lot of information online about how to debug this, or whether others are experiencing the same thing. This is pretty maddening since it seems like my only option is to disable sleep of any kind.

2) every time I reboot, the monitor connected to HDMI comes up at a very low resolution. The one on DVI works fine, and I can 'fix' the one on HDMI by toggling the resolution to something else, then back to 1920x1200. This is minor .. just an annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back