Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
After direct updating from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.2, I am having the following problems:

1. Although I have energy set to never go to sleep, now it does go to sleep and then reboot automatically.
2. Photos not always, but it crashed twice after some more heavy editing. Has this to do with face recognition? I read something about it and it actually crashed when there was people on the pics I was editing.
3. HWMonitor is now only displaying both of my 2 disks temperatures, nothing else.

My system configuration is set to iMac 14,2

Any idea, tip, would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
After direct updating from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.2, I am having the following problems:

1. Although I have energy set to never go to sleep, now it does go to sleep and then reboot automatically.
2. Photos not always, but it crashed twice after some more heavy editing. Has this to do with face recognition? I read something about it and it actually crashed when there was people on the pics I was editing.
3. HWMonitor is now only displaying both of my 2 disks temperatures, nothing else.

My system configuration is set to iMac 14,2

Any idea, tip, would be highly appreciated!

To get HWMonitor working, you need latest FakeSMC along with its sensor extensions

I have FakeSMC, version 6.26-322, I just installed the sensor extensions, HWMonitor it is working! thank you very much.
Any idea on how do i solve the sleep and Photos issue?

No problem :)

Hmm R9 280x should work out of the box as far as I know. I don't know if it is an update issue which could be fixed by a clean install or a driver issue. I have never seen a computer sleep while it was configured to not sleep. However, I don't have this much experience neither, maybe you could try Googling it.

Anyway, sleeping should not be an issue with this graphic card and I believe that the support which is native should provide you a very good experience without any laggs.

No problem :)

Hmm R9 280x should work out of the box as far as I know. I don't know if it is an update issue which could be fixed by a clean install or a driver issue. I have never seen a computer sleep while it was configured to not sleep. However, I don't have this much experience neither, maybe you could try Googling it.

Anyway, sleeping should not be an issue with this graphic card and I believe that the support which is native should provide you a very good experience without any laggs.
No problem whatsoever with the R9 280x it work out of the box, and still does. According to some posts i read in the forum, it seems that Photos problem is related to its face recognition feature, it runs on the background causing the system to reboot; I could not find any solution posted.
Now, the sleep problem it might be related to a config setting (nothing to do with the graphic card) I never had neither of these problems with El Capitan.

No problem whatsoever with the R9 280x it work out of the box, and still does. According to some posts i read in the forum, it seems that Photos problem is related to its face recognition feature, it runs on the background causing the system to reboot; I could not find any solution posted.
Now, the sleep problem it might be related to a config setting (nothing to do with the graphic card) I never had neither of these problems with El Capitan.

Hopefully someone will figure out :) there are a lot of people more knowledgeable than I

thank you BreBo. I will check imbrenden suggestion:

"processor hungry tasks" if your temps peak above 70C, then your motherboard is over volting your processor, and you need to turn down your VCore voltage in the BIOS (it's set to "Auto" by default). In my experience, it works best when it's set around 1.140v - 1.145v.

I think he has same MB and processor. That value (1.140v- 1.145v) it is referring to the maximum VCore voltage allowed, right?

Last edited:
thank you BreBo. I will check imbrenden suggestion:

"processor hungry tasks" if your temps peak above 70C, then your motherboard is over volting your processor, and you need to turn down your VCore voltage in the BIOS (it's set to "Auto" by default). In my experience, it works best when it's set around 1.140v - 1.145v.

I think he has same MB and processor. That value (1.140v- 1.145v) it is referring to the maximum VCore voltage allowed, right?
I have the VCore Voltage set to 1.140v, did some editing in Photos and no crashes so far, hope this is "The Solution"! Will be posting after doing some more test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back