Graphics
None
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I would like to know if I will be able to install OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a system with the following components :

ASUS B85M-G
Intel i5 4670
Corsair CX430M
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-128000CL9D-8GBXL
Bitfenix Survivor Case

ASUS USB-N13 802.11N
ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth 4.0

Thanks for your help,

Cope1

I was able to edit the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ and got the ASUS USB-BT400 to work with 10.9.2.

The detailed instructions are from this article: http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2012/using-unsupported-bluetooth-4-0-usb-dongle-with-os-x/

The USB-BT400 has the same Broadcom chip as the bluetooth device the author was using so his hack worked for me.

After editing the kext and installing using Kext Utility I restarted and was able to use bluetooth. I tested using my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1. Worked just fine.

Attached is the kext I edited as an example. You should edit your own just to be safe. The article also notes that each OSX update will probably wipe the kext and these steps will need to be repeated.

View attachment IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

Thank you so much for the help and sample file you provided. I just purchased the exact same bluetooth adapter and was able to use your KEXT file without any changes. I do have a question though. I understood the instructions extremely well, however, my original KEXT file on my new install did not have any of the info.plist files. Were yours included in your original install? I thought these files were hidden on my machine, but still cannot find them anywhere. I am just curious as I spent hours trying to locate these text files in my packages before taking the risk and install yours instead. :)

Thanks for your help! :)

My plist flies were part of the original install, I didn't have to add them later.

If you follow the path /System/Library/Extensions/ starting from your Mac partition (mine is called 'Mavericks') you should find the IOBluetoothFamily.kext, then right-click and choose 'Show Package Contents', click 'Contents', the Info.plist should be right there.

But if you said you were able to use the same kext without any issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I just redid everything since the 10.9.3 update and it's working.

Thank you! Your file is working perfectly and I appreciate it.

I had actually found the KEXT file without issue, but it contained no plist files at all. I have a feeling that may have been because the adapter was not plugged in at the time of the Mavericks install, so it did not need to create one? I was able to confirm my Macbook pro has it, but not my Hackintosh install. I was just curious. I sometimes hate letting things go before I am able to figure them out. :D

Miro

Hey, just wanted to say thank you for providing the kext. It works perfectly.

Hey @d.paolantonio, big thanks! This kext also worked perfectly for me :clap:

I was able to edit the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ and got the ASUS USB-BT400 to work with 10.9.2.

The detailed instructions are from this article: http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2012/using-unsupported-bluetooth-4-0-usb-dongle-with-os-x/

The USB-BT400 has the same Broadcom chip as the bluetooth device the author was using so his hack worked for me.

After editing the kext and installing using Kext Utility I restarted and was able to use bluetooth. I tested using my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1. Worked just fine.

Attached is the kext I edited as an example. You should edit your own just to be safe. The article also notes that each OSX update will probably wipe the kext and these steps will need to be repeated.

View attachment 88962

sry link upgrade :D https://www.atpeaz.com/using-unsupported-bluetooth-4-0-usb-dongle-with-os-x/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back