Contribute
Register

Has anyone tried the HP EX920 NVMe SSD with macOS yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Mac Studio - Mac13,1
CPU
M1 Max
Graphics
32 Core
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This new SSD looks like a great bargain. Just wondering if anyone has had any success using it with macOS yet.

TIA.

This new SSD looks like a great bargain. Just wondering if anyone has had any success using it with macOS yet.
TIA.
I've got one in my ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero system and I can see it fine from 10.13.5. I don't use it as a boot drive, unfortunately, so I can't comment there (It's the 2nd NVMe SSD in my system) It's an NTFS-formatted filesystem that I access using Paragon's NTFS for Mac. I use it primarily as a cross-OS data storage volume for multi OS's.

I've got one in my ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero system and I can see it fine from 10.13.5. I don't use it as a boot drive, unfortunately, so I can't comment there (It's the 2nd NVMe SSD in my system) It's an NTFS-formatted filesystem that I access using Paragon's NTFS for Mac. I use it primarily as a cross-OS data storage volume for multi OS's.

Thanks for the info! If macOS is not crashing with the SSD installed, it's a good sign that it should work fine as a boot drive.

The one NVMe SSD that I've read about which gives major problems is the Samsung PM981. macOS just randomly crashes with the SSD present in the system. It doesn't even need to be the boot drive.

Thanks for the info! If macOS is not crashing with the SSD installed, it's a good sign that it should work fine as a boot drive.

The one NVMe SSD that I've read about which gives major problems is the Samsung PM981. macOS just randomly crashes with the SSD present in the system. It doesn't even need to be the boot drive.
FWIW, I've got a "triple boot" system with Windows 10 on a Samsung EVO 960 1TB NVMe, 10.13.5 on a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA, Manjaro Linux on a Hitachi SATA HDD, with the HP NVMe and another Hitachi SATA HDD as data drives. I can see them all from 10.13.5 (with the proper Paragon cross-OS drivers for NTFS and EXT4) and no problems at all.

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.28.27 PM.png

Ex900 works fine here.

I had tried to use HP ex920 512GB as a boot drive for my MacBook Rro Retina 13' 2015 early. It works well, with no sleep false or crash.
The only issue I met was the power consumption during system sleep was really high, almost 60% of battery every night (about 8 hours), and it still existed even I had turned off the Bluetooth, WiFi or any apps running background in night.

I hope my case could help you more or less.

It's my Mojave boot drive. It is considerably faster than the M.2 SATA drive that is my Windows boot drive.

Aja speed HP NVME.png

Aja Disk Speed W10M2SATA.JPG

Has anyone tried the EX950? Seems to be an even better performer than the EX920...

I had tried to use HP ex920 512GB as a boot drive for my MacBook Rro Retina 13' 2015 early. It works well, with no sleep false or crash.
The only issue I met was the power consumption during system sleep was really high, almost 60% of battery every night (about 8 hours), and it still existed even I had turned off the Bluetooth, WiFi or any apps running background in night.

I hope my case could help you more or less.
I just installed the ex920 for my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro. Everything seems works, though I have not tested extended sleep yet. What is the throughput that you are getting? I am only getting 2x lane width or about 700/700 mbs. Using the Sintech adapter.

Trying to see if I did something wrong.

I just installed the ex920 for my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro. Everything seems works, though I have not tested extended sleep yet. What is the throughput that you are getting? I am only getting 2x lane width or about 700/700 mbs. Using the Sintech adapter.

Trying to see if I did something wrong.

I have my EX920 formatted to NTFS and Windows installed on it so I can't run Blackmagic or AJA speed tests on it... But it does run at x4 lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back