Contribute
Register

Has anyone tried a Hackintosh INSIDE a 21.5" iMac before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
CPU
i5 8600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I've been given a broken iMac 2011 21.5". Thinking of combining my habits of SFF and Hackintosh and trying to build a proper Hackintosh inside the iMac.

I've seen some do it with the 27" version, but that's easy!

Looking to re-use the screen (using this), get a thin mini-its board (link), an i5-8400 (cause it's only 65W, the max heat I can dissipate), a discrete Radeon GPU (doesn't have to be too powerful as screen is only 1080p), re-use the existing fans and possibly CPU and GPU heatsinks, and hopefully reuse the existing PSU if I can figure that out. Breadboards hopefully will not be required.

May be tight for space, discrete GPU may not work. Heat may be a factor, may be worth delidding.

Anyone heard of anyone trying this before?

Last edited:
Hi, i'm begin to working on it at this time with an imac 21.5" mid 2009

it is the only way to fix the motherboard for me because of the display to fit correctly now i need to buy some epoxy glue for fixing spacers screws and need others usb and ethernet extensions does not fit correctly

i will keep all imac fans for better cooling
ps: my config is an old 1155 motherboard

What components are you using? Have you got the screen working?

Hi, i'm begin to working on it at this time with an imac 21.5" mid 2009
View attachment 414682

it is the only way to fix the motherboard for me because of the display to fit correctly now i need to buy some epoxy glue for fixing spacers screws and need others usb and ethernet extensions does not fit correctly

Where did you find that heatsink?? TIA

yes really want to get working this old imac mid 2009 with pc parts

I’m hoping that the “thin” mini atx Mobo will allow me more freedom.

Please keep me up to date. I’m going to have to wait a month for the lcd controller to arrive I think.

By the way, did you consider replacing the LCD panel with a similarly sized 4k version and re-using the mounts from the existing one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back