Contribute
Register

Has anyone tested the GTX 660 (non-Ti)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know that originally the GTX 680 was meant to be the 670, right?
The only reason Nvidia didn't bother to go with something faster/hotter/more expensive is because they realised that the current 680 was faster than anything AMD had, they could make more margin and they could do so by getting better yields...
This time around is purely about making money for Nvidia, as Fermi ended up costing them a lot of cash. So far it appears to be working quite well...

And yes, the GTX 650 is a bit on the expensive side, but it works really well in OS X and it's always going to be supported unless Nvidia/Apple starts adding specific Nvidia GPU ID's into the drivers. For $20 more than a GT 640, it's still a better card though, at least if you're planning on doing something a little bit GPU intensive.

yes, of course, they had planned gk104 as a pure gaming chip (which explains its 1/24 double float) and gk110 as flagship.
gk110 is a whole year late and it will be 7 billion transistors, that is twice the number of gk104. imaging the highest number of logic in one chip of all time combined with the 28nm yield issues. nvidia could not have done it in numbers.
the refresh generation, starting circa end of year, will be way faster and better all around - gk110 is going to be a monster.
the best advice for gamers right now is to wait if you can.

but for hackintosh the 650 is a great buy, no question. quiet and efficient.

@roadkill74: wow, that is bad news. i was expecting oob compatibility for gk106, but I bet it will be in 10.8.2-.3 - I would expect new iMacs to sport something like a 660.

I also bought 660 non Ti last friday with really big hopes it will work. I have tested every possible chimera option and guess what? It didn't... I've spent 2h trying and finally contacted the seller and exchanged the card for 660 Ti. Unsurprisingly this one worked out of the box :)

I also bought 660 non Ti last friday with really big hopes it will work. I have tested every possible chimera option and guess what? It didn't... I've spent 2h trying and finally contacted the seller and exchanged the card for 660 Ti. Unsurprisingly this one worked out of the box :)

I'm not willing to give up just yet. Been poking around the different kexts and I do see the device ID for the GTX 660 in NVDAGK100Hal.kext, so at least on some level the drivers are aware of it. I also see the GeForce driver trying to load now, but there appears to be some missing libraries. I am thinking that between all the failed startups I've managed to mess up the filesystem a bit. Plus this system has been a test bed for a number of other projects. As such it's going down for a clean build shortly. Will keep poking around after that. I don't expect it to magically work, but if I can at least figure out if a simple DeviceID injection would work, then great!

BTW - The Device and Vendor ID for the GTX 660 is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11C0&CC_0300 according to windows at least. Seems to jive with I see for a vendor ID in the GeForce and NV kexts, also corroborated the 11c0 device id on a few other sites. Still poking around...

I'm not willing to give up just yet. Been poking around the different kexts and I do see the device ID for the GTX 660 in NVDAGK100Hal.kext, so at least on some level the drivers are aware of it. I also see the GeForce driver trying to load now, but there appears to be some missing libraries. I am thinking that between all the failed startups I've managed to mess up the filesystem a bit. Plus this system has been a test bed for a number of other projects. As such it's going down for a clean build shortly. Will keep poking around after that. I don't expect it to magically work, but if I can at least figure out if a simple DeviceID injection would work, then great!

BTW - The Device and Vendor ID for the GTX 660 is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11C0&CC_0300 according to windows at least. Seems to jive with I see for a vendor ID in the GeForce and NV kexts, also corroborated the 11c0 device id on a few other sites. Still poking around...

Good news to hear :) I've also building a GTX 660 system and can't step down to a GTX 650 because i neeed a displayport port for my Cinema Display.

Until new drivers or some hack is out is it a least possible to use the GTX 660 in some sort of safe mode ?

Good news to hear :) I've also building a GTX 660 system and can't step down to a GTX 650 because i neeed a displayport port for my Cinema Display.

Until new drivers or some hack is out is it a least possible to use the GTX 660 in some sort of safe mode ?

Every mode I tried resulted in a freeze when the startup sequence hit a certain spot. Safe mode, No Kernel Cache, with Kernel Cache, etc... I remember single user mode working one time, but then not after that.

But take this with a grain of salt. My install is busted and until I wipe and rebuild, I am not taking any success or failures for granted. Need a solid base first, then build from there.

My plan is to remove the GTX 660, build using HD3000, confirm fully operational using HD3000, install recent NVidia 304 drivers though they do not state support for GTX 660 in the OS X release, according to NVidia site 304 does provides support for GTX 660, install GTX 660, test, report.

After that, remove GTX 660, build using HD3000, confirm, install GTX 660, poke around with stock kexts to see if I get it working.

I am opting for the NVidia drivers first as they feel like the best route to success right now.

Where did you see that? The only thing they state is that the new CUDA drivers support the GTS 650M.

Yep, looks like I misread the site that I got the info from. 306.23 is the first driver that supports GTX 660.

Hey guys. Ok, so I'm new to Hackintosh. I just ordered a complete build for a new computer and unfortunately ordered the GTX-660 card before seeing this. I got the GA-Z77MX-D3H motherboard. I'm reading in this thread that the GTX-660 is not working right now. How can I get around this to work? Can I use the onboard video for the time being? Will trying to use the GTX-660 just give me blank screens? I'm supposed to be receiving all the components Thursday to build my new system. I'd like to at least get the system up and running with Mountain Lion. I was planning on using the system as a Dual-Boot too. I'm almost thinking of not even trying to do a hackintosh now seeing this issue. I'm sorry for the noob questions, but I appreciate any help you can provide me. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. Ok, so I'm new to Hackintosh. I just ordered a complete build for a new computer and unfortunately ordered the GTX-660 card before seeing this. I got the GA-Z77MX-D3H motherboard. I'm reading in this thread that the GTX-660 is not working right now. How can I get around this to work? Can I use the onboard video for the time being? Will trying to use the GTX-660 just give me blank screens? I'm supposed to be receiving all the components Thursday to build my new system. I'd like to at least get the system up and running with Mountain Lion. I was planning on using the system as a Dual-Boot too. I'm almost thinking of not even trying to do a hackintosh now seeing this issue. I'm sorry for the noob questions, but I appreciate any help you can provide me. Thanks in advance!

I have not personally found a working setup for the GTX 660 yet. Not sure what your CPU is, but I have another system using HD4000 graphics nicely. So as long as your cpu has that, assuming you have an Ivy Bridge processor with a GPU, then you should be good to go for now. I am leaning towards returning the 660 and picking up a 7870 or 7850 instead. The 660 falls in the middle in terms of performance of those two, with the 7850 being a closer match in price. Both serve my needs just fine for 1920x1080 gaming.

EDIT: Leaving the original text alone cause the information regarding the hardware is still valid and because that just feels like the right to do. In regards to the AMD 7XXX cards, the thelostswede has pointed out that the 7XXX series of AMD cards are not supported either. Not my lucky day... :) I am not bothering with the 660 anymore, nice card, great price but not practical right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back