Contribute
Register

Has ANYONE got hot-swap on Z77 SATA ports working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBP

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD4000 / GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Up until now my eSATA devices have been connected via ASM1061 controllers (all the Z77 ports are occupied by internal drives) and using the "3rd Party eSATA" kext hot-swap works great. Drives show up as "external" and ejectable, and after they're ejected they disappear from the drive list and new drives on those ports are detected properly.

However, I'm now working with another machine where we've connected one of the Z77 SATA ports to an eSATA bracket, feeding to a desktop eSATA dock. That particular SATA port is marked in the bios as hot-swap. Drives there show up as external, but after they're ejected the system doesn't disassociate them, and a reboot is required to use the next drive.

This is not a new problem, given these existing threads:

Does this work for ANYONE? No-one's piped up with a useful answer.
I can't go out and spend $30 on another ASM1061 PCIe card for this machine although I know that would work around the problem, as it's not mine and there is officially no budget for it (we're re-using existing hardware). It would be really nice if this worked.

Thanks

I found this written by "DSCHIJN" while I was reading about his hackintosh build:

===========

My onboard eSATA works great on my main board.

I had to install the eSATA driver from MultiBeast

But since OS X 10.7 eSATA drives are not really hot-luggable any more, you have to:

1) power the drive
2) wait until it is running
3) then plug in the eSATA cable

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/83498-dschijns-g5-mod.html

===========

Hope this helps you.

Mint13NTS

Plugging in drives works fine. Starting up with the drive in works fine. Ejecting the drive does not trigger a rescan of the port. The only way I've seen to do that on Intel (H77/Z77) ports is to reboot. So thanks but no, no obvious clues there.

Well it was a very very long time ago, but I remember that using the blockstorage kext so that you had non-orange/extermal icons for your hard drives would always provoke the problem you are describing... but that was on an old H61-system and OSX 10.6.8

Nevertheless I have never used that kext since, hot-swapping works fine, at least on the Marvel ports of my X79 system.

I switched my built in sata dock to the internal marvel controller and hot swap works perfectly. I did not install anything to make it work.

Well, the $12 (!) ASM1061 card finally arrived from China, so we've installed it in this machine ("damn the expense" :)) and connected the eSATA port to it. Using the "3rd Party eSATA" kext hot-swap is now working fine as expected.

In other words, I've stopped looking for a way to enable hot-swap on the Z77 ports. If someone comes up with a solution I'll of course be interested, but don't look to me for an answer now...

Old thread digged up;
Sata hot swap never worked for me. But now i upgraded from Mavericks (using Chimera) to Sierra it suddenly does. Has that to do with Sierra or has that to do with Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back