Contribute
Register

Hardware Virtualization (And General Mac Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone

I know that you need hardware virtualization to be able to run Mac in a Virtual Machine in Windows 7, but do you need it to run Mac directly? As in actually installing it to dual boot with?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 processor, which should by Intel's website support VT but there is no such option in the BIOS, and believe me, I've looked :|

Also, I heard that in Mac you dont get application installers but rather you have to drag the application into some sort of folder? Is that true? Because if I install Mac I will be dual booting from my 64GB SSD which isnt too big. I know in Windows you can tell it to install to a seperate hard drive but can you do that on a Mac?

Thanks

Raze599

The forum is for hardware installation only.

raze599 said:
Hi everyone

I know that you need hardware virtualization to be able to run Mac in a Virtual Machine in Windows 7, but do you need it to run Mac directly? As in actually installing it to dual boot with?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 processor, which should by Intel's website support VT but there is no such option in the BIOS, and believe me, I've looked :|

Also, I heard that in Mac you dont get application installers but rather you have to drag the application into some sort of folder? Is that true? Because if I install Mac I will be dual booting from my 64GB SSD which isnt too big. I know in Windows you can tell it to install to a seperate hard drive but can you do that on a Mac?

Thanks

Raze599
You can install different operating systems on separate hard drives, have all hard drives connected, and, as long as the OS X drive with chameleon/chimera bootloader is first in hard drive boot order in BIOS, you can select which OS to boot at the chameleon/chimera boot screen. You do not need virtualization to dual/triple/quad boot.

You can install different operating systems on the same hard drive and, as long as the chameleon/chimera bootloader is used to boot with, you can select which OS to boot at the chameleon/chimera boot screen. You do not need virtualization to dual/triple/quad boot. See viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 for one way to install multiple OS on one hard drive.

I currently have SL 10.6.8 + Win7 Ultimate + PCBSD + Ubuntu 10.4 + Lion 10.7, each on their own hard drive with the SL 10.6.8 as the boot drive.

As for the applications, it depends on the application - some you just drag & drop the app icon into a folder and use it whenever you need it. Some have additional files that are needed that are installed in Library/application support folder by the application installer.

Thanks very much. I will give it a go. Just need to do a bit more research on the iBoot stuff and these bootloaders lol :D

Hi

I've been doing some more research and I've found that installation becomes a bit more difficult for my motherboard. I have an XFX 780i Chipset board. Would the normal method (iBoot etc) not work? I was reading on the InsanelyMac forums and most of that stuff goes straight over my head :?

EDIT: Will I be able to use my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card? Are there any drivers available for it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back