Contribute
Register

Hardware Raid 5 on PCI Card + 4-6 HDDs - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
Graphics
2 x RX280s
hi all, got a nice little i3 hackintosh build humming away here, currently running OSX server and doing time machines packed with about 10 TB of hard drives...

i set it up mostly as a test to see how it would go, and to put my various drives to use backing up a fairly beefy video editing hackintosh sitting next to it (i7, 2500k etc)

question: is there a mac compatible Hardware RAID 5 card that i can attach my drives to that will make them appear as one drive?

i need at least 12 TB of drives (so thats 4 x 3tb as JBOD) to backup the entire system, but i'd love to have it automatically RAID'ing away

happy to spend some dollars on the right card,

have googled with no luck so far...any suggestions?

An OLD build of mine (C2Quad, but on Mountain Lion) has a 3ware 9650SE-8LPML w/ 7x2TB drives in RAID5 + 1x2TB hot spare drive. While an older RAID card, it's a true and true card, and since it is older, I was able to pick it up at a deal on the auction site.

The latest drive compatibility list states the latest firmware support 4TB drives
ftp://ftp0.lsil.com/private/3Ware/doc/Compatibility_9650SE_drives_addendum_2013_May.pdf

In the next month I'll be moving the RAID setup to a newer build of mine (Sandy Bridge).

I'd say the only issue I have w/ this card is that w/ the BBU, it runs hot. I ended up getting a Titan VGA cooler in order to cool the BBU/card combo.

Hey there,

I've been looking for an answer to this question for days and I'm very curious to hear, not only how your setup worked out and what gear you ended up with but also I'd REALLY like to know what kind of speeds you're getting in your RAID5....I need to hit a pretty constant 300MBs in my business...

Thanks!

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back