Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks
I'm about to start putting my system together and I understand that for a dual boot system there are some specific ways it has to go together for it to work properly. This system will be a dual boot Hackintosh / Windows build with the following components..

CPU - i9 10900K
Mobo - Asus Maximus XII Formula
GPU (For Windows) - Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
GPU (For Mac) - TBD
NvME SSDs - 2 x Samsung 970 Evo+ (one for each operating system)

As I put the hardware together I have some choices... First, Its my understanding that for the Hackintosh to work with a GPU I need to have the GPU for that OS be in the top slot. So my 2080Ti will have to go in the second slot. I have a similar choice with respect to the operating system drives in that I have three slots for the nvme drives. If one of them has windows and the other has the Mac OS is there a recommended configuration for those two so as to minimize issues later?

I recognize some of this maybe be specific to the board I am using and no one else is using this board so I may be on my own figuring this out but I just thought that I would check.

Hi folks
I'm about to start putting my system together and I understand that for a dual boot system there are some specific ways it has to go together for it to work properly. This system will be a dual boot Hackintosh / Windows build with the following components..

CPU - i9 10900K
Mobo - Asus Maximus XII Formula
GPU (For Windows) - Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
GPU (For Mac) - TBD
NvME SSDs - 2 x Samsung 970 Evo+ (one for each operating system)

As I put the hardware together I have some choices... First, Its my understanding that for the Hackintosh to work with a GPU I need to have the GPU for that OS be in the top slot. So my 2080Ti will have to go in the second slot. I have a similar choice with respect to the operating system drives in that I have three slots for the nvme drives. If one of them has windows and the other has the Mac OS is there a recommended configuration for those two so as to minimize issues later?

I recognize some of this maybe be specific to the board I am using and no one else is using this board so I may be on my own figuring this out but I just thought that I would check.
Read your manual and try to find which slot is the first one the system will see on boot. If this is not possible, you can test by installing one, boot the Win10 install USB, open a command window and create an EFI partition of size 200MB and then another partition of the rest of the drive formatted NTFS. Exit the installer and reboot to BIOS. Look at the drive description. Shut down and install the second drive, boot to BIOS. Look at the drives in the boot order and see if you can determine which is the one you formatted and which is the default FAT32 formatted drive. If the one you formatted is first in the list, reboot to the Win10 USB and install Win10. Examine the other drive and see if the installer created any partitions or installed any files on it or if all of the Win10 partitions and files are on the target drive.
If all are on the target drive, go ahead and install Mac OS on the other drive. Install Open Core or Clover on the Mac OS drive, boot to BIOS again and make the Mac OS drive first in BBS boot order, save&exit, continue boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back