CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a computer here built by a Linux builder. Build date in 2013 (it is now running Windows 10)
Here are the parts:
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 ( 3.40GHz - 8MB cache - 4 Cores with Hyperthreading - HD Graphics 4600 )
32 GB – 4 x 8 GB - Crucial Sport Dual Channel DDR3 - 1600 MHz
240 GB Intel 530 Series Solid State Drive $219.00
2.0 TB SATA III 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache
CD-RW / DVD-RW Dual Layer
I turned off the onboard graphics and substituted with MSI Geforce GTX 760
(regarding the graphics card, I previously bought an MSI Geforce GTX 1070, but it made Win10 unstable, so I gave up. If the 760 appears to you to be very under powered, I would try again with the 1070).

What are the odds that I can load Sierra on this (successfully)? In truth, if probabilities suggest a lot of fussing, I will convert the box back to a Linux machine. I recognized the value of the advice and tested configurations here (with respect to time lost and then also mental health), so I am prepared to buy the parts for a whole new machine. But if you think this existing configuration would work, then I'd try it. My worry is that situation obtaining, in which it works sort of 85%, and then comes 20 hours of fussing only to conclude my life is way better spending the money for a bag of tested, reliable parts.

Thanks in advance!

I have a computer here built by a Linux builder. Build date in 2013 (it is now running Windows 10)
Here are the parts:
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 ( 3.40GHz - 8MB cache - 4 Cores with Hyperthreading - HD Graphics 4600 )
(regarding the graphics card, I previously bought an MSI Geforce GTX 1070, but it made Win10 unstable, so I gave up. If the 760 appears to you to be very under powered, I would try again with the 1070).

What are the odds that I can load Sierra on this (successfully)? In truth, if probabilities suggest a lot of fussing, I will convert the box back to a Linux machine. I recognized the value of the advice and tested configurations here (with respect to time lost and then also mental health), so I am prepared to buy the parts for a whole new machine. But if you think this existing configuration would work, then I'd try it. My worry is that situation obtaining, in which it works sort of 85%, and then comes 20 hours of fussing only to conclude my life is way better spending the money for a bag of tested, reliable parts.

Thanks in advance!
Post your MB which seems to be usually the most critical component. Post your specs in your profile. I have a system built in 2012 and am running Sierra 10.12.6 Beta. If you are good at following instructions, you should have no problems installing OS X on your system. The instructions on this forum are very precise and clearly wrote. If I had to do it again, I would have stopped at Sierra 10.12.5.

Thanks for the tip.
MB: Asus H87-Plus motherboard

@ddgm: Which reason do you have for regretting the move to 10.12.6? Can one easily rollback an OS update to the more stable one?
I regret it because the nVidia web drivers were disabled with 10.12.6. I am having a resolution problem. My monitor shows resolution of 1280 x 1024 in 10.12.6 and 1920 x 1200 in Win 10. I don't know if it showed the higher resolution using the web drivers or not. I posted about this awhile ago in Graphics, over 30 views but no responses yet. I have no idea about a rollback.

Here are the parts:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the tip.
MB: Asus H87-Plus motherboard

@ddgm: Which reason do you have for regretting the move to 10.12.6? Can one easily rollback an OS update to the more stable one?

Asus H87-Plus will work fine with Sierra, Intel HD4600 will also work but will be better to use the GTX760 which is native and works OOB. Are you planning on dual booting with Linux? on a Single Drive or two Drives?

Asus H87-Plus will work fine with Sierra, Intel HD4600 will also work but will be better to use the GTX760 which is native and works OOB. Are you planning on dual booting with Linux? on a Single Drive or two Drives?
Thanks for the tip. I was considering building a whole new unit, but now I can see I can repurpose this old box I have now. Saving money.
Not sure about a dual boot with Linux as I already have a second home-built box with Linux on it. At any rate, the hackintosh will be using both the existing SSD and well as the secondary harddrive (for data and scratch drive).

Thanks for the tip. I was considering building a whole new unit, but now I can see I can repurpose this old box I have now. Saving money.
Not sure about a dual boot with Linux as I already have a second home-built box with Linux on it. At any rate, the hackintosh will be using both the existing SSD and well as the secondary harddrive (for data and scratch drive).

Dual booting with macOS and Linux is easy I've done it the other day on my 4530s Laptop. Take a look at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back