Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm interested in building a rip-roarin' Core i7- or Xeon-based system to be used mainly as a Web development workstation, and partly as an HD video editing rig.

I have a decently powerful Windows box (Core 2 Quad Q6600), but that's been gathering dust while my main work system has been a 13" Macbook (last generation before the 13" became a Pro). I don't think the former is going to cut it for what I want to do.

Basically, I'm just sick of waiting for my computer to catch up. I routinely need to run the following all at once:

• one or more Windows XP or Windows 7 VMWare instances for cross-browser testing[/*:m:3k0r2nny]
  • a graphics editing program like Adobe Fireworks, with several large comps open[/*:m:3k0r2nny]
  • Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, each with dozens of open tabs[/*:m:3k0r2nny]
  • TextMate, with several large projects open[/*:m:3k0r2nny]

This is not to mention 6-7 additional minor apps. As you can guess, my Macbook very often slows to a complete crawl while I wait for the apps to catch up. This is even with 4GB RAM and an OC Z Summit SSD.

I'm willing to spend a lot of money to build a desktop that can run anything I throw at it with blazing speed. My initial ideas are an i7-980x CPU (or an i7-970, if it's out fairly soon), or dual Xeon E5520 processors. I'd like to run 24 GB of memory as fast as possible (ideally triple-channel, or whatever is best right now). I want to be able to open a few VMWare instances at once, alongside everything else, with no problem. I also need to run at least 2, but preferably 3-4 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 monitors.

One big question - is registered/buffered/ECC, etc. server memory really necessary? I've read arguments that it is when you're dealing with so much memory, and arguments that it isn't. I can handle the occasional system crash, but I don't want to happen every day - or even every week, ideally. Once or twice a month, I could handle.

I don't want to go completely crazy with the price (i.e., I'll spend a lot but want to keep diminishing returns in mind). I'd feel comfortable spending up to about $3000 for the case and its guts; beyond that, the specs would really have to justify it.

I'd be a first-timer to the OSx86 approach, and I unfortunately don't have a lot of time to tinker, and would need a pretty stable/reliable system. I'd ideally like to follow a tried-and-true build guide if one exists for a similar system.

What components and approach would you recommend? Can anyone point me to a solid build guide for a similar system? Thanks very much for any help!

I'm running a 980x with 10G memory, SSD, 2T-RAiD...for video editing. I often have multiple heavy apps running while rendering and I never wait for anything.

It is awesome and worth the money.

Build it.

You will need some patience and some specific hardware.
GA-EX58A-UD5
GTX-260 or 285
These 2 items are the main and crucial items. Most other component branding is of little consequence. Other Mobos will work but I can only assure support for GA-EX58A-UD5 because I have that board but very few people so far are running 980x so DSDTs are very hard to come by for this CPU.

rabbit

Thanks, rabbit - sounds awesome!

Can you post any more info about your build - e.g., a detailed components list, build guide, etc.?

Do you have any input on memory? I think that 10 GB is past the point where some opinions I've read insist on server memory. Do you run that? If not, have you experienced any stability problems?

I edited my first post to include more specific part info.

As to RAM, 8 gigs is probably enough. 6 might be fine to start. But you will need at least 6 to get all three channels of the CPU running.

I use ADATA or KINGSTON 1333 DDR3 - No problems. I have had problems with other branded RAM.

As to a guide. Please check the Make Package method on the Tonymacx86 Blogspot.

We will use your macbook to install the OS onto your New systems boot drive. For this you will need an external case to stick your drive into for the install process. There is no guide that I know of that outlines the specific method that I use. But I can walk you through it. We will start with the make package method. Then make it bootable then copy some files into /extra/extensions. Then swap the boot file, the mach_kernel and make our first boot. The system I use leaves us with an incredibly vanilla system.

After first boot we need to enable networking and sound. For which we will use multi-beast. Then we just fix permissions and make a few other minor system edits and we are done.

Here is one guide I wrote before but it is a little old and needs a couple edits. It is a non DSDT method but I have the DSDT now so need to change a couple things.
http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?p=8520#post8520

rabbit.

Check your supplier to see what parts are available and hit me back.

I can go into more detailed instructions over the weekend.

rabbit.

Hi rabbit74,

I noted that the 58-UD5 has a TI firewire chip. Does that work all OK for you?

(Trying to convince myself it's worth the upgrade, guess am looking for reasons to not spend the $$!)

Cheers.

Hey rabbit74 I bring this up, because it relates to the thread. I thought I read that some people (on insanely) are having problems with X58A-UD5 rev.2 Anyway, I was wondering which revision of the board you had, as Gigabyte just stealth updated to revision 2 not too long ago. I also ask, because I just parted out two whole systems (due to a big move) and was thinking about purchasing this board.

humph said:
Hi rabbit74,

I noted that the 58-UD5 has a TI firewire chip. Does that work all OK for you?

(Trying to convince myself it's worth the upgrade, guess am looking for reasons to not spend the $$!)

Cheers.

EX58A-UD5 Firewire 400 works OOB

r.

Jocelyn84 said:
Hey rabbit74 I bring this up, because it relates to the thread. I thought I read that some people (on insanely) are having problems with X58A-UD5 rev.2 Anyway, I was wondering which revision of the board you had, as Gigabyte just stealth updated to revision 2 not too long ago. I also ask, because I just parted out two whole systems (due to a big move) and was thinking about purchasing this board.

I have both EX58-UD5 and EX58A-UD5 They both work perfectly. Let me check the Rev. and get back to you.

r.

rabbit74 said:
Jocelyn84 said:

I have both EX58-UD5 and EX58A-UD5 They both work perfectly. Let me check the Rev. and get back to you.

r.

Yes please do and thank you! I want to say it happened in May/June, and while they seem to be the same (audio and all), I've read about people having problems with the Rev. 2 X58A-UD5

Rev. 1
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherb ... uctID=3316

Rev. 2
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherb ... uctID=3457

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back