Register

Hard Drives

What brand hard drives do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had a WD die on me.

WD and Seagate !

I use whatever has a reasonable (3 yr) warranty and is on sale when I need a new drive. Currently that means both Seagate and WD drives..

I tend to do the same.
Last year, I went for a Seagate to put into my Synology NAS, and I already had a WD for the USB back up.
I had a small WD elements for carrying around, and recently I bought another small 2.5" for my wife. Got the Seagate, because on stock and cheaper. :)

I don't go anymore for other brands like LaCie, etc. because in the end, the HD inside is coming from the 2 big manufacturers.

I was wondering what hard drives people use. I used to avoid Seagate and only get Western Digital, but recent reviews for every manufacture seem to be mostly bad. So Is the best bet to just get the cheapest one with a decent warranty and cross your fingers?

I usually avoid Seagate too, used to use them but once they acquired Maxtor I jumped ship.
Maxtor sucked, only brand that ever died on me.

Today I bought my first Seagate in about 7 years. Hopefully it was a smart purchase.
3TB for $149, 5 year warranty, made in Thailand and not China.

I've tried them all. All hard disks suck... because they *all* will die. It's just a matter of when.

If you have backups, it doesn't suck as much, it just becomes a pita when you restore :)

Though I do have to say IBM "Deathstar" hard drives (if you remember them from several years ago) is probably the grand-daddy epitome of suck. They suck big time... so big, that there was a lawsuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back