Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So my hard-rive containing my mac install finally "kicked the bucket". I was prompted to backup the data which I had to move over to my 'capsule' backup drive. Now I'm tapped out of cash for the next few months, I want to get an SSD, so will have to wait.

Here's the run down of my current HD setup:
1) Samsung 500GB 7200rpm - Windows 7 - Single partition
2) Samsung 2TB 10000rpm - 2 partitions - Capsule 560GB and remaining space used for an NTFS backup drive.

THE FAILED HD:- Still bootable but takes ages to load and prior to its failure I kept getting S.M.A.R.T. errors from the tech tool app.
3) Seagate 500GB 7200rpm - 4 part's - OSX Lion, OSX snow leopard (just in case I botched Lion; used rBoot to load this and sort out issues). Installer partition 8GB with Lion installer files.

So Here's what I did:
Booted into installer partition and restored the Lion partition onto the capsule partition of Drive 2. I then tried booting off of it, but it wouldnt...Even with rBoot, while it is a mirror image of my previous 10.7.3 working install.

My road so far:-
Upon the trial boot, which hit a dead end, I then remembered the partitioning table required by OS X, "MAC OS Extended (Journaled)" was causing the problem. My problem is, that my 2TB drive has a GUI partition table, I first formatted 1.5TB using windows disk manager and created a partition with the remaining space which I formatted under Snow Leopard to use as a time machine backup, it worked flawlessly; if I can remember correctly

My Question - is there a way that I can change the partitions on it to allow OS X to work on it without losing the data on the drive? It literally contains ALL my files....

Any ideas/help would be appreciated that won't require buying a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance hackintoshers!! :)

Don't try to work with the failed drive. Install on another drive OSX and than try to migrate with OSX assistant from the failed drive. While your Hackintosh is doing that… set a prayer.

Thanks Dschijn.

So basically there's no way to change the partition structure on my other HD without losing all the data???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back